Sensing Skin

Good day CE fans. does anyone here know about sensing skin device? does anyone know how to make that device? because on that sensing device is very important in our project design here in the philippines. I'm a ECE student, i hope you can post here the procedure how to make a sensing skin device.. I hope you can post here the schematic diagram, and the materials needed to make a SENSING SKIN DEVICE.. need feedback on it... thank you and god bless. πŸ˜€

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    obetodoie11
    Good day CE fans. does anyone here know about sensing skin device? does anyone know how to make that device? because on that sensing device is very important in our project design here in the philippines. I'm a ECE student, i hope you can post here the procedure how to make a sensing skin device.. I hope you can post here the schematic diagram, and the materials needed to make a SENSING SKIN DEVICE.. need feedback on it... thank you and god bless. πŸ˜€
    Unfortunately Sensing Skin Device does not make it very clear what is wanted. Do you mean a device to measure biological skin resistance, a membrane touch switch or some kind of biometric device? Please make your requirements more specific. There are lots of people here, who may be able to give you suggestions once the requirements are clear.
  • obetodoie11
    obetodoie11
    good day! mr. Bioramani, our project in the school is to monitor the crack of a bridge.. the main problem of our design is what sensor are possible to use to monitor the crack of the bridge.. we had conduct research on the net and we found out on it.. thats the name SENSING SKIN... on that site their was a engineer made that sensing skin device... so we wanted to know how to made that sensing skin device... the schematic diagram and materials needed.. we had already propose the project design on our professors and it was approved... the problem on our design is the sensor needed to monitor the crack... sorry for my bad english...

i hope in this forum we can find a possible or suggestion sensors of our design project.. i hope you understand my english CEans members.. god bless! πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Thanks for your clarification. This article gives some idea of what MIT engineers had done:
    #-Link-Snipped-#It is a skin like membrane that is glued on to any structure that has to be monitored. When there is a crack in the structure this skin gets stretched altering its electrical properties, which then generates a signal that can be processed to give an alarm or start some corrective activity. It appears to be too advanced for a school project.
    The elastomeric sensors from this source may be of use:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • obetodoie11
    obetodoie11
    @Bioramani,

Thank you so much for the information sir.. me and my group mates in the design project are very glad about your feedback in our sensor needed. In this information that you gave to us is the start of our project and eager to do it. God bless you and your family sir.. Take care always.. πŸ˜‰
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You are most welcome. If I come across anything in this line, I shall keep you posted.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    @Ramani Sir: Wow... Using a stretchable skin they can find the crack of a bridge? Won't these get affected because of vibrations?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    @Ramani Sir: Wow... Using a stretchable skin they can find the crack of a bridge? Won't these get affected because of vibrations?
    So long as the stretch is within specified limits such sensors will continue working. You actually opened a new avenue. May be vibration monitoring is an application where this can be used.
    bioramani
    So long as the stretch is within specified limits such sensors will continue working. You actually opened a new avenue. May be vibration monitoring is an application where this can be used.
    Thanks sir... But how? I am totally confused. What's that skin made of? I am interested to know more... 😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    Thanks sir... But how? I am totally confused. What's that skin made of? I am interested to know more... 😁
    The rubber is loaded with piezo resistive or capacitive elements, which change characteristics. A computer is used to probe the staus periodically and compare with previous pattern of response. Some more details are available in the MIT press release above.
    Wow sir... Went through. It is awesome... Got a few pics of it too... πŸ˜€

[​IMG]
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    Wow sir... Went through. It is awesome... Got a few pics of it too... πŸ˜€

[​IMG]
    Praveen Kumar, you are thorough as usual.
    bioramani
    Praveen Kumar, you are thorough as usual.
    Sir, please explain the logic in a lay man point of view about how the electrolytes in this case work. Can you?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    praveenscience
    Sir, please explain the logic in a lay man point of view about how the electrolytes in this case work. Can you?
    I am slightly confused about the electrolyte. Where did you see about this for this application? One possibility is that an electrolyte is used to give a flexible continuity to distributed particles. Can you please post a reference?
    Oops... I mentioned piezo resistive or capacitive elements! πŸ˜”
  • martinSteve
    martinSteve
    Friend you did not mention about your need in correct way.In this way you make this confusing that what are you asking for.Please make it appropriate according to your desire.
    martinSteve
    Friend you did not mention about your need in correct way.In this way you make this confusing that what are you asking for.Please make it appropriate according to your desire.
    Its better to quote and reply instead of replying blindly, as there are many participants... πŸ˜€

Ramani Sir, I just asked how those piezo resistive or capacitive elements work... πŸ˜€ Thanks...
  • obetodoie11
    obetodoie11
    @BIORAMANI

good day sir, i search already the ELASTOMERIC SENSOR that you talking about but the problem is i dont saw the exact image on it... can you please upload here or show the image of the ELASTOMERIC SENSOR sir? waiting for your reply sir.. thank you and god bless.. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We take immense pleasure to announce FREE All India Scholarship test for GATE 2012. The idea behind IISc and IIT’s conducting GATE is to look for self motivated students who...
Hey ppl, this question was asked in amazon technical round. The aspirants were given a binary tree and they had to check whether this tree is a binary search tree...
I stumbled upon the 'Power Up' plane idea: Power Up gives paper planes an electric boost and I think it's very simple enough for you try it on this weekend....
Free Mock GATE for GATE 2012 Gateforum is conducting a free All India Mock GATE Test for GATE 2012 in below cities. There is no fees for the test, and...
Below are some useful tips for GMAT exam: Practice a lot: To excel in this exam it is important to practice a lot. One of the most important ways to...