Semiconductor vs resistor

why semiconductor is preferred in current controlling than a resistor

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Well, I didn't understood what you're trying to ask.
    Anyways, I will try to explain both the terms.

Semiconductor is a substance whose width of forbidden energy (also called energy gap) is relatively small ~1eV. So, technically semiconductor is "not a component" which can control the flow of current.

While on other end, Resistor "is a component", which opposes the flow of current.

Even a semiconductor device needs resistor to control the flow of current.
    You're just mixing up two different things.
    Redefine your question please.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This should explain the basic concept of the resistor: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    A semiconductor device can provide you with dynamic functionality, for eg., a single diode can act as a low resistance or high resistance. There are many other reasons like power consumption, heat dissipation etc. in which semiconductor is better.

TL;DR, semiconductor devices gives you "control ability" over its function which is absent in a resistor.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Resistor is independent of external controls other than atmospheric effect.

But a FET (Varistor config) has a dynamic control knob in it. This makes it more significant in their applications. That is why they are prefered more

But still for a fixed current to be got from a voltage source we use a resistor as this is simple in design. But in the case of SC devices there are many parameters to be taken into account
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    a resistor opposes the flow of current even if any parameter is changed(except the temperature)
    but a semi conductor device changes its resistance value with the change in certain parameters, hence we use semi conductor devices more than a just resistor
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    prashanth463
    a resistor opposes the flow of current even if any parameter is changed(except the temperature)
    but a semi conductor device changes its resistance value with the change in certain parameters, hence we use semi conductor devices more than a just resistor
    Resistors are not 100 % replaced by Semi conductor devices and they cannot be also

But to an extent sensitive and Highly stable systems are made using Semi conductor
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    yea i know, i was just trying to keep it short
    however, thanks for correcting sir
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    prashanth463
    yea i know, i was just trying to keep it short
    however, thanks for correcting sir
    Hey throw that Sir attitude out man

I am just a beginner like you in Electronics ๐Ÿ˜€

We are born to learn everyday
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    jeffrey samuel
    Hey throw that Sir attitude out man

I am just a beginner like you in Electronics ๐Ÿ˜€

We are born to learn everyday
    very kind of you samuel ๐Ÿ˜€
    i'm a rookie too
  • dossdss
    dossdss
    i think you are asking semiconductor device based control vs resistance based control (pot)....for example in Fan regulator.
    the very prime reason behind using semiconductor based device regulator than trimmer based regulator is power saving.
    in resistive fan regulator the excess power is dissipated in heat and much power is wasted...
    but in other kind of regulators only required amount of power is taken without wasting it...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I Tried searching the forum but i couldn't find an answer. 3D tag in html.
Given the strong opposer of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) that I am; reading Chetan Bhagat write on national issues in a national publications makes my mercury get warmer even in...
Five years back ArizonaUniversitytook a big step forward in the design of an artificial foot with its SPARKy foot with a 150 W motor, offering a near natural gait. Now...
True story. Buying music online on iTunes? Really? ROFL! True story ๐Ÿ˜
Introduction I am a PHP Guy and was trying very hard to style the Apache2 Directory Listing index page, but miserably failed because of obvious reasons, which Apache2 would troll...