bavigadda divya
bavigadda divya · Nov 3, 2012
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

Why semiconductor is preferred in current controlling than a resistor

Posted in: #Electronics
Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal · Nov 3, 2012
Rank A2 - PRO
Well, I didn't understood what you're trying to ask.
Anyways, I will try to explain both the terms.

Semiconductor is a substance whose width of forbidden energy (also called energy gap) is relatively small ~1eV. So, technically semiconductor is "not a component" which can control the flow of current.

While on other end, Resistor "is a component", which opposes the flow of current.

Even a semiconductor device needs resistor to control the flow of current.
You're just mixing up two different things.
Redefine your question please.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 3, 2012
Rank A1 - PRO
[Prototype]
[Prototype] · Nov 3, 2012
Rank B1 - LEADER
A semiconductor device can provide you with dynamic functionality, for eg., a single diode can act as a low resistance or high resistance. There are many other reasons like power consumption, heat dissipation etc. in which semiconductor is better.

TL;DR, semiconductor devices gives you "control ability" over its function which is absent in a resistor.
Jeffrey Arulraj
Jeffrey Arulraj · Nov 3, 2012
Rank A2 - PRO
Resistor is independent of external controls other than atmospheric effect.

But a FET (Varistor config) has a dynamic control knob in it. This makes it more significant in their applications. That is why they are prefered more

But still for a fixed current to be got from a voltage source we use a resistor as this is simple in design. But in the case of SC devices there are many parameters to be taken into account
prashanth463
prashanth463 · Nov 3, 2012
Rank D2 - MASTER
a resistor opposes the flow of current even if any parameter is changed(except the temperature)
but a semi conductor device changes its resistance value with the change in certain parameters, hence we use semi conductor devices more than a just resistor
Jeffrey Arulraj
Rank A2 - PRO
prashanth463
a resistor opposes the flow of current even if any parameter is changed(except the temperature)
but a semi conductor device changes its resistance value with the change in certain parameters, hence we use semi conductor devices more than a just resistor
Resistors are not 100 % replaced by Semi conductor devices and they cannot be also

But to an extent sensitive and Highly stable systems are made using Semi conductor
prashanth463
Rank D2 - MASTER
yea i know, i was just trying to keep it short
however, thanks for correcting sir
Jeffrey Arulraj
Rank A2 - PRO
prashanth463
yea i know, i was just trying to keep it short
however, thanks for correcting sir
Hey throw that Sir attitude out man

I am just a beginner like you in Electronics 😀

We are born to learn everyday
prashanth463
Rank D2 - MASTER
jeffrey samuel
Hey throw that Sir attitude out man

I am just a beginner like you in Electronics 😀

We are born to learn everyday
very kind of you samuel 😀
i'm a rookie too
dossdss
dossdss · Nov 5, 2012
Rank D1 - MASTER
i think you are asking semiconductor device based control vs resistance based control (pot)....for example in Fan regulator.
the very prime reason behind using semiconductor based device regulator than trimmer based regulator is power saving.
in resistive fan regulator the excess power is dissipated in heat and much power is wasted...
but in other kind of regulators only required amount of power is taken without wasting it...
Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Feb 4, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

One reason why semiconductors are mostly used than resistors is because of its size. Resistors are bulky and consumed more area compared to semicnductor devices. In applications where more resistance has to be provided the size of the resistor increases and resulting in the complexity of the circuit. 

Other reason why semiconductors are mostly used than resistors are because of its wide range of applications.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up