Self Wheelie Motorcycle/Bike Design - ideas?

Alright, this is purely a pop of my evil brain :twisted: ; but rather an interesting one.

I'm thinking of a self wheelieing motorcycle! Probably there are no practical uses of it but it would involve some crazy engineering for sure. So, here's something we can discuss -

1. Design of such a motorcycle [Should wheelie at a press of a button and lands safely after 10 seconds while maintaining the rider and its own balance]
2. Balancing mechanism.
3. Cost.
4. More crazy ideas.

What say?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    There are a couple of options out there. Both stationary and cage attachments. I know this is a bit different than what you are invisioning. Anything will and weight and handling issues to the bike which would create negative aspects for any other riding other than doing wheelies. To me that teaches people to act squidly without earning their stripes (i.e. crashing through control development). a small mini bike or a "rat" bike especially a dirt one are great for learning to wheelie in a parking lot. Also much cheaper. Also, let me please note that I am against doing stunts on public roads. thos are just my 2 cents.

You'll want hydraulics, stabilizer arms with wheels, gyro controls with throttle cut out & speed control, weight redistribution system, beefed up suspension systems as well as frame.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oops. I don't encourage stunts too. I only thought it would be an interesting design. Specifically, I am thinking of a design that'd let the bike go into wheelie mode and maintain its balance.

Could make a great toy mobike.
  • gohm
    gohm
    you will need los of small and lightweight hydraulic components for the stabilizer outriggers & weight relocation sytem. Wheelies are a result of unloading the front end and redistributing the weight on the rear tire. Throttle and momentary compression of the front suspension then release will aid in getting the weight back quickly to rapidly unload the front end, causing it to rise. Afterwards momentum and balancing point keep it up. With current bikes, roll on wheelies are possible with high power bikes or going uphill (the hill redistributes the weight rearward for you). Clutching up the front will work on almost any bike and allow a greater, more prolonged wheelie though they are moe difficult to master.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I was just browsing throught some old threads.
    This is a craaaaaaaaaaaazy idea!
    But i love it!
    Lets consider a simple arm operated by a solenoid to push a package in an assembly line or manufacturing facility.
    Considering what #-Link-Snipped-# said above, a solenoid can be used to compress the front suspension and then rapidly release to create the wheelie. I will make a preliminary assumption that the stability of the bike will be affected by the size of the wheelie as well as the speed of the bike at one instance.
    High speed can support a high wheelie.
    We can vary the intensity of the 'push' created by the solenoid by varying the voltage supplied to it.
    This can be done by connecting the solenoid to the rotation of the tires. High speed = Higher voltage generated = High wheelie...............and vici-versa.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for reviving this old thread. Is there a way to connect the jump to the speed of the bike & stability? I'm assuming that we're talking about the front tire wheelie, right? Then how do we go about balancing it? We'd need faster sensors to aid balancing. Been away from electronics for a long time; can't think of any. Godfather may just chip in his thoughts 😀
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I was thinking of using an induction type sensor to link rotation to the magnitude of the 'push'.
    I myself am not too strong on electronics. Just basic knowledge.
    And yea front tire wheelie.
    As for the balancing issue; Questions, how long do we propose to hold the wheelie for? Or is it just a hop and drop wheelie? What will control how long the wheelie will last, the designer or the user.
    Just soem things we should cclear up before proceeding.
    Do we have any craaazy bikers here on CE? 😉
    Some user input may be vital for the balancing issue.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    How about a modified Segway control? That one is wheelieing all the time.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    you know what I'm thinking? Imagine a bike with a HUGE motor with very low RPM and very high power coupled to it. You know, place the motor sideways, bolt the rotor end to the bike frame, and house the motor rigidly with the frame (Formally, place the motor such that the axis of the rotor is perpendicular to the plane of the bike. Make sure the motor is at center of mass of the bike). Now you can rotate it, and the front wheel will be lifted up, which is what The Big K wants 😀

This motor I'm talking about is an auxiliary one, say a gas engine with a high reduction gearbox. I think you can optimize the torque to be balanced at the exact angular position of the front end of the bike.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a cse student and want to do paper presentation in digital image processing but i am confused abt it... it ll be nice to have ideas and suggestions...
hi guys....... google downloads the whole of the web thru crawlers.... if i want to download a website to my pc wat software do u think i can use........ do...
Want to do internship abroad.. I want to do internship abroad. Please suggest me how can I get that opportunity. I have already done some project work on various topics...
Can someone tell me what is the difference between a pen drive and a flash drive? Also is USB drive the same thing?
What exactly is code rendering? Can anyone explain in detail? Thanks