Science: a Threat to Society?

Time is running very fast and science is pushing back the boundaries of human knowledge and understanding further than many people feel comfortable with. Cutting edge technologies, such as cloning, and other more established procedures, such as in vitro fertilization, have sparked moral outrage and accusations of ‘playing God’ from certain sections of society.

Of course, the global stockpile of nuclear weapons is just one illustration of the possible danger introduced by scientific advances.

Science has shown itself capable both of killing and curing – What your take on this, which does it have more potential?

-CB

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm always for science with ethics and morality. Destructive science does not bode well for human kind on the long run.

Of course, some consider real science as one free of any boundaries that would hamper discovery of anything.. harmless or harmful. Ethics and morality would certainly be obstacles for scientists who share this type of worldview.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I don't think Alfred Nobel ever intended to bring out dynamite for mass destruction, humans just found out the other not-so-cool way of using it. Similarly knives and fire were never invented /discovered to kill or cause any form of harm, but we still do it. So is the case of surrogate mothers.
    Knowing the 'science' behind something is definitely not wrong , it only depends on us how we use any form of invention.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Science with ethics is blessing of God but unethical science is Threat to society.
  • sookie
    sookie
    In my opinion -
    Science was never a threat to society and would never be a threat to society. Threat to Society was/is/will be its usage in unethical experiments or inventions.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    No i don't think so that science is a threat to society
    as when alferd nobel invented dynamite it was for mankind...but some dangerous mind make its wrong use...
    so it just depends on human mind..how they think??and what they think.??
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Science is not the threat. The threat is human nature which, sadly, is mostly selfish. Unless we change our nature, learn to adapt to the environment and not make the environment adapt to our needs there is no hope for us!!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Science is not at all a threat to the society.

It all depends on us. If we use it for good, it is good for society, otherwise it becomes a threat for the society.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi , CEan Biggie has already made a group on Facebook well , its is also a good idea to attract traffic through Facebook . Their will be many CEans...
I use all the above three to a large extent and thus customised each of them . I thought that those settings are " BROSWER" settings, but when i access...
Recession has hit the economy vey badly, however one thing is still inching towards peak. i.e. Pay packages of Top Management. No matter companies are in profit of loss, Pay...
Mobiles sporting the latest release of the Windows Mobile operating system are now available for sale worldwide. Microsoft is also formally launching its application store, known as Windows Marketplace for...
Microsoft Corp said on Monday that passwords belonging to some users of its Hotmail email service were exposed on an Internet site, but had since been taken down. The company...