Scheduling algo in OS

I just wanted to ask that on a particular OS ,is the implementation of a scheduling algorithm unique,lets say I am implementing round-robin in my OS ,so will every task within my system get executed on the basis of the time slice decided by the scheduler or only when resources are less then only the threads or processes within the system would be executed depending on the time slice.

Also ,if round-robin algo is used ,then is there a case that SJF or SRTF may be also implemented,so how does then scheduler decides which algo to use for execution of a particular thread or process.

Major confusion is that if every thread is not time sliced ,i.e only when the resources are less then it will time slice each thread,then what is the use of round-robin and actually how is it overriding this fact that the algo should work only during less availability of resources only ,I mean how do we are first able to supress its working by not time slicing each thread and only when resources are less then it will be implemented,so during the phase while it is nt getting implemented that means at that particular time some other algo must be getting executed,so thats what I wanted to ask that are multiple scheduling algos designed for the schdeuler and soes it depend on the activation which will be implemented depending on the need?

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    radha gogia
    I just wanted to ask that on a particular OS ,is the implementation of a scheduling algorithm unique,
    There can be various scheduling strategies for an OS. In most systems, they also offer some sort of a GUI interface whereby the system admin can tweak the existing algorithm or change to a different algorithm depending upon the requirement (cycles wasted, CPU burst time etc.)
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It depends on OS how they implement scheduling algorithm in various condition.
    Here answer from Microsoft forum for familiar name you have mentioned:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    For Linux and other OS: see the reference
    Scheduling (Computing) Linux

System always keep monitoring the resource uses and on the basis of the that it decides which one to choose.
    If I am not actually working on OS development, it's almost impossible for me to understand how actually it works.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Though there's no official word about the launch, XOLO India has added a new Octa Core smartphone in its 8X series portfolio. Called the XOLO Play 8X 1020, the new...
Hi any one have seminars and seminar reports on arm7 processors of links ? if u have plz post them here.
2014 proved to be a marvelous year for Xiaomi not just in China but company’s global appearance was worth appreciating. It is learned that Xiaomi captured third place among smartphone...
It appears to me that the innovation in technology is totally directionless; which may prove fatal against the human race in future. The engineers working in the technology domain have...
Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is a platform for major companies to launch their products. American Data Storage Company Seagate has confirmed that they will launch a new external hard drive...