Samsung & Tata Motors To Launch Infotainment Systems In Cars Using Drive Link App

At the Auto Expo 2014 in India, Tata Motors and Samsung have joined hand to launch an in-car infotainment systems for the upcoming cars from Tata. This move comes as a result of the ConnectNext initiative from Tata Motors. Samsung Electronics has already launched Drive Link, an innovative in-car smartphone application. The uses of Drive Link app are threefold - listening to music, navigating to a destination and talking hands-free. The good news is that this technology will be introduced in cars as early as next year. The company assured that they will make the system available not only in the high-end segment cars such as Tata Safari and Aria but also its volume segment cars.

It has been six months since the two companies have been working together on this project. Globally, BMW is the German Brand that Samsung is working with on the same project, in India Tata Motors are the first.

tata-motors-samsung-in-car-infotainment
Let us now take a look into the Drive Link Application. Developed to conform with the Japanese Automotive Manufacturers Association standards, which are world's strictest in driver's security, the Drive Link app features clean interface and is easy to use. As you can see from the picture below, the app displays enlarged buttons and a simple menu structure that makes navigating through the options easy and intuitive. The home or welcome screen of the app displays time and weather information for the current location along with upcoming appointments saved in S Calendar. Using GPS, user can access the complete navigation facility which includes selecting recent or favorite destinations or searching for a specific address.

Samsung-Electronics-introduces-Drive-Link_1

An example of the ease of use of this app is - If a text message that contains the address information is received while using the App, users can set the address as their destination with just a single click on the text. Drive Link connects smartphones to a car’s In-Vehicle Infotainment system using MirrorLink, a new standard connectivity protocol. To see MirrorLink Technology in action, take a look at this video -​

In this one, they have used Samsung's Galaxy S III Android Smartphone and Samsung DriveLink Application which duplicates the phone/app display screens onto the head unit's monitor. In a nutshell, you can see that Drive Link app coupled with the car's infotainment system is here to make the driving time easier and hassle-free. How do you like the idea? Share with us in comments below.

Update: Apart from the above mentioned features, the Drive Link app can sync with the music gallery on your smartphone or tablet and play it through the car's speakers. Moreover, using the app's text to speech feature, the incoming messages, emails and updates from social media websites can be made to be automatically read again through the speakers. This is done to ensure that the driver keeps his or her eyes on the road and let the technology do the other work for you.​

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can we amplify 1A current to 10 A with constant voltage of 230v...? but I have 2 do;only small changes in resistance for safety bcoz of high current
Yes, February 14th is just a few days away, and people all over the world would celebrate it with glamour. Here's a thread dedicated to the funniest, wackiest, romantic and...
Hi CEANS, can anybody know the Auto expo in Tamilnadu and it date and venue
C V Raman, Executive Director MSIL announced that effective January 18th, Maruti Suzuki India had stopped the production of iconic Maruti 800. He also clarified that though the production is...
I need a lil help in this electronic project which i am thinking of making for my final semester. Though i am from a mechanical background but i feel like...