Samsung Galaxy S5 Released In India Today - Is It Worth Rs. 51,500?

The Samsung Group has released its recently launched and much talked about smartphone - the Samsung Galaxy S5 in India. The phone is priced on the Samsung India eStore at Rs. 51,500. If that didn't give you a mini-heart attack, you might get one when you see it listed on Flipkart at Rs. 53,499. For that hefty sum of money that consumers will be putting in to buy this smartphone, it is very important to know what you are being offered in the latest Android handheld device from Samsung. First of all, the Samsung Galaxy S5 features a 5.1 Inch Display with Super-AMOLED Full HD, 1920 x 1080 Pixels resolution. Samsung claims that the screen automatically optimizes the colour range. If there's not enough light, it allows the display light to dim so that eyes feel comfortable in the dark.

Powered by a Adonis Prime2 (Quad 1.9 GHz + Quad 1.3 GHz) and XMM6360 processor, the Samsung Galaxy S5 has a IP67 Certificated Dust and Water Resistant body. Running on the Android v4.4.2 (KitKat) operating system, the smartphone has a 16 megapixel rear camera and 2 megapixel front one. With dimensions 72.5 x 142 x 8.1 mm, the phone packs inside it a 2800 mAh battery that offers a talk time of 21 hrs on 3G and weighs just 145 g. Coming to the storage - there's internal memory of 16 GB which is expandable up to 64 GB thanks to the microSD card support. The RAM is 2 GB.

For the connectivity needs -there's GPRS, EDGE, 3G, Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 and USB connectivity. Interestingly, the 5th Generation Wi-Fi 802.11ac and 2 x 2 MIMO Technology equip Galaxy S5 with two internal Wi-Fi antennas that double the connection and accelerate the speed of Wi-Fi.

samsung-galaxy-s5-1

Coming to the innovative features - The Galaxy S5 supports the newly introduced Samsung Gear Fit and Gear 2. There's the fingerprint access security and ultra power saving mode - that changes screen black and white and stops unnecessary features to dramatically minimize the battery consumption. Other than that, the Galaxy S5 provides dedicated fitness tools such as the ability to set tailored goals for workouts, track fitness progress and measure heart rate with built-in heart rate sensor.

Available in a range of colors, including - shimmery White, charcoal Black, copper Gold and electric Blue, the Samsung Galaxy S5 has been put up on sale on the aforementioned price tag.

What is your verdict on the latest Android Kitkat smartphone in town? Would you be able to shell 0.5 Lakhs on a new smartphone? Share your thoughts with us in comments below.

Replies

• Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    Under the hood, Galaxy S5 is a powerful monster but on outside it looks like an ugly duckling. Please Samsung change the design, try something new.
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    From hardware point of view, this phone seems to be better than iPhone 5S. But they should have atleast had a 5MP front camera instead of 2MP.
  • Netradeep Dhonde
    Netradeep Dhonde
    Samsung has only provided more services instead of concentrating more on their design. True that S5 has great specs and camera, but people would prefer Sony Xperia Z2 over S5.
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    Don't forget htc one m8 is also in the race with S5.
  • Netradeep Dhonde
    Netradeep Dhonde
    Aditya Deshmukh
    Don't forget htc one m8 is also in the race with S5.
    Yeah, sure. But, it's yet to be launched in India.
  • lal
    lal
    Ohh! Samsung, not again! *fed up*
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Specification of these four phones are pretty much similar. But still Sony Xperia Z2 & HTC One M8 are ahead of iPhone 5S & Samsung S5 .
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The upgrade is not worth it, and the done to death design bores me. Samsung's skin (Touch Wiz) has come a long way but still a far cry as compared to the beautiful skins like HTC Sense.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't understand why they're using Exynos Octa core and not Snapdragon 801 for Indian model ?

BTW What GPU Exynos Octa is using ? No matter what GPU it uses, I don't think Exynos Octa can beat Snapdragon 801 in overall performance.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The price tag is totally unreasonable; given the fact that there's no drool worthy feature in the S5. I guess Samsung launched their phone just to be at par with Apple's upcoming phone in the hardware department.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian smartphone maker Spice Mobility has introduced a new budget friendly smartphone called the Spice Stellar Glide Mi438. Featuring OGS (One-Glass-Solution), which makes it slimmer, this smartphone packs cogent hardware...
public String getUserID(String usernmae, String password) { String flag = ""; try { if (true) { socket = new Socket("localhost", 1111); dos = new DataOutputStream(socket.getOutputStream()); dos.writeUTF("SignIn"); dos.writeUTF(username); dos.writeUTF(password); dis =...
Currently, Indian smartphone market is flooded with tablets and phones from big brands to domestic vendors. Within 10 days, iBall has released a smartphone- iBall Andi 4.5T Cobalt2 and a...
Is RSA algorithm the best method for decifering information??
I had a dream of becoming a school teacher since my childhood.But after class 10th I decided to go for engineering. Now I think that was a immature decision due...