SafetiPin App From India Shares Information On Safety Of Your Neighbourhood

A new app developed by Dr. Kalpana Viswanath and Mr. Anurag Basu from India called SafetiPin lets you find and record information about safety in your surrounding contributed by the app's users. This map-based mobile application has been developed by keeping in mind how important it is to know about security of a particular place in your neighbourhood. The app is free to download and is built on the premise that community participation and engagement will make our cities safer. Users can set up ‘Circles of Interest’, which could be their own neighbourhood, a place of work, or a place where a loved one stays. Any post through the app in any of these circles, will show up on a Wall tagged for that circle.

With the SafetiPin app, users can post something that can be categorized as a safety audit, a place, a harassment or a hazard or even just a user's feeling. Users can agree to posts, put up their own comments, and even post it on Facebook. "The particular circle can then be audited by the user who can tell others whether a stretch of road or a spot inside that circle has adequate street lighting or public transport or not so that others may avoid that route," said co-founder of the app, Ashish Basu.

safetipin-app

Safetipin provides a map to its users which shows areas of the city that are unsafe (in red), moderately safe (orange/amber) and safe (green). Users can also report problems such as broken lights or bad roads. They can find information such as nearby 24 hour Pharmacies, Auto stands, ATMs, and directions to them using the Locate feature. Users will also be able to earn points to move up levels – from white belt to black belt. Check out some of the screenshot of the SafetiPin app below -

safetipin-app-android-iOS safetipin-app-audit safeti-pin-app-harassment safet-pin-app-places
Dr. Kalpana Viswanath, who is a researcher and a co-founder of this app has been working on issues of violence against women and safer cities for women for over 20 years. Apps like SafetiPin have become a necessity in India and will only ensure security and safety in troublesome times. Using this app, you can record how safe you feel – when and where you feel it; and add pictures for others to see and share.

Let us know what you feel about the SafetiPin app now available on #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The line between Science Fiction and science fact is blurring. Quote: Science fiction books, novels and television have, for years, invented technology for the purposes of plot. But fact is...
Here is a normal plane touching down almost vertically down on a ship. Even when one realizes that small planes have low stall velocities, it is landing against a wind...
Hey there, I appreciate any help I get on this. I'm in my final year, ECE. My term might be getting extended for credit completion reasons by a semester. I'll...
Honda's engineers have been doing a lot of amazing work on personal mobility device. The UNI-CUB, which made a debut at the Tokyo Motor Show about four years ago is...
Samsung pulls a silent launch of its latest smart Samsung Galaxy Core Plus SM-350, by listing the phone on the Samsung Taiwan website for a price of TW$7,990 (US$270). People...