Rupee has a symbol! IIT-ian's design selected

Finally, the Rupee has a symbol like other major global currencies!
In a historic event, a five-member jury set up to finalise symbol for the rupee selected the design presented by IIT-ian D Udaya Kumar.
The Union Cabinet approved the symbol on Thursday noon. The Indian rupee is now the fifth currency in the world to have a distinct identity. The rupee will join the elite club of US dollar, British pound-sterling, Euro and Japanese yen to have its own symbol.

Rupee has a symbol! IIT-ian's design selected - Rediff.com Business

source:business.rediff.com

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't think this symbol was in the list of final symbols. Or was it?

Anyway, I'm sticking to 'Rs.' or 'INR.'
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Yes, there's an ongoing controversy that non-eligible candidate's symbol was chosen -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

RTI Activist exposed : Mismanagement and violation of guidelines in “Indian Rupee Symbol” design competition.

According to RTI Documents :

1. Non-eligible candidate was shortlisted in top five finalists. As candidate had #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. One finalist was in contact with Finance Ministry and RBI prior to competition.
    3. Design concept or brief was not put in front of jury along with Indian Rupee symbol design.
    4. No marks or grades were allotted to selected (2644) candidates design entries, in the process of shortlisting top five finalist design entries.
    5. Jury had spends less than 20 seconds on each design entries to analyze it .
    6. Three jury member were absent in two days long meeting dated 29th Sept. and 30th Sept. 2009.
    7. One jury member from Ministry of Culture was absent on the day of final presentation.
    8. All seven jury member had never meet in this whole selection process in any given time.
    9. No records are available with Finance Ministry which could indicated, how many total design entries Finance Ministry had received ?
    10. Advertisement was only published in English language.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    This should not be happen 😔 .RTI has to follow strict action aganist them either it can be any one .otherwise Faith will not be so longer for RTI.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    personally I did not like the design much. Rs or INR would be much more appealing and/or convenient. Other currency symbols are much simpler and appealing. Why couldn't we come up with some thing like that.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Even I did not like the Rupee symbol. Who cares about using it anyway? 😉

I'll add a poll to this thread to see what engineers think.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Just now saw the symbol.
    It's like some cryptic ancient text or something.
    I definitely dont like it.. I think I too will stick to INR.

But on retrospect, this symbol is certainly not the best job one can do..
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I don't like this symbol. I didn't saw this in the final list. 😔

I will go with Rs. or INR.

Non-eligible candidate was shortlisted in top five finalists. As candidate had submitted four designs.
    One finalist was in contact with Finance Ministry and RBI prior to competition.
    Design concept or brief was not put in front of jury along with Indian Rupee symbol design.
    No marks or grades were allotted to selected (2644) candidates design entries, in the process of shortlisting top five finalist design entries.
    Jury had spends less than 20 seconds on each design entries to analyze it .
    Three jury member were absent in two days long meeting dated 29th Sept. and 30th Sept. 2009.
    One jury member from Ministry of Culture was absent on the day of final presentation.
    All seven jury member had never meet in this whole selection process in any given time.
    No records are available with Finance Ministry which could indicated, how many total design entries Finance Ministry had received ?
    Advertisement was only published in English language.
    Nice points mentioned. Then why they selected against the rules? And already approved by the cabinet. 😔
    Any Poly tricks behind?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Indian politics sucks again! and this is not at all a new news here!
    IF they work well its the point to feel amused , if they do bad , its the way they act!!

Anyway it doesnt matter , what ever the symbol is we say 100 rupees..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    why is there no poll option- ' I least care' ?
    All I feel is -those 2.5 lacs invested in searching 'that' unique symbol might have been utilised on something worthwhile.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i don't think it is that bad😀 it is nice guys.
    but i don't think i'll use it yet... not many know that our rupee has a symbol now😀

i think it is just made for the sake of having a symbol for our currency... no one is going to use it 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi Crazy's i wish to do my final yr proj in PHP. ideas on the platform may help me. wat abt the risks?
Hey i want to make a project wherein any external device calculates the number of bytes downloaded from the internet on a PC and when it exceeds a certain limit,...
Collection of Tutorials and videos on Data mining. Tutorials: DataminingTools - Tutorials Videos: Dataminingtools - Video Library
Collection of Tutorials and videos on MS SQL server. Tutorials: DataminingTools - Tutorials Videos: DataminingTools - Videos
A link to a collection of tutorials and videos on MYSQL. Tutorials:DataminingTools - Tutorials Videos:DataminingTools - Videos