running air cooler with solar energy

hi friends.
I am going to do project on minimizing the power consumption.so by running the air cooler with solar energy.plz tell me comments and suggestions on this project........

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sravan219
    hi friends.
    I am going to do project on minimizing the power consumption.so by running the air cooler with solar energy.plz tell me comments and suggestions on this project........
    Very good idea. How about telling us about what you've achieved so far in your project? We'd be in a better position to help you build on your ideas than commenting on your project without knowing about it.
  • bill190
    bill190
    I would like to do something similar.

Solar electric panels are quite expensive, so a low wattage Air Conditioner would be the best thing. Then just some solar panels and an inverter with enough wattage to power the air conditioner.

The question I would have is, what if there was not enough sun to provide enough power for the air conditioner? You would want the inverter to shut down. Then turn back on when there was enough sun/power again. I don't know if this is built into solar inverters or not?
  • satanas
    satanas
    its a very interesting project...can also try blower fan ( in cars) powered by solar...
  • sravan219
    sravan219
    hi am sravan.i am at beggining stage till now.i want t o take energy from solar and it convert it into electricity and driven into air cooler. butsolar panels cost is very high so when i proposed to our department of college in financial they were unable to receive....and actually i want to minimise the consuming power to air cooler since when i observed 10% of power is consming by air cooler in andr pardesh (india).so kindly help me in this project to move forward.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    buddy,power consumption of AC is quite high,you also have to convert the DC voltage into an AC volts,with solar panels it will become quite bulky n expensive but its quite possible i think you find a sponsor,we are there to further help you,you can count on CEans!!!
  • bill190
    bill190
    Following is a link to a company which makes "Grid Tie" inverters. These tie into the electrical system and synchronize the electricity. In the case that the solar panels are producing more electricity than what is being used by the facility, the electric meter would spin "backwards"!

Grid Tie Inverters for solar electric panels...
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    tats cool!! but the question is how to produce tat much power???
  • bill190
    bill190
    You can buy solar electric panels which produce more than 200 watts each!

Here is a google search for these products...
    224 OR 250 OR 270 watt solar electric panels - Google Search
  • saumill
    saumill
    Hi Sravan

This surely sounds very interesting. Let me know where have you reached on this project.

I am keen to start off on solar equipments on a commercial basis and this interests me.
  • Follow Franklin
    Follow Franklin
    Hey there,
    You are an engineering student! Don't buy the solar panels, build them (for a fraction of the price)! Check out ebay and look up "solar cells". There are usually an abundance of cells that are "chipped" or "cracked". These cells are often dirt cheap and a small chip does not effect the functionality of the cell, yet fancy expensive panel manufacturers cannot sell them as new. I have seen plans and pictures on the web from people who built their own solar panels, they often have tips and accurate photos. I am planning on building some for my home. Good luck!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Franklin - how about a short tutorial on how to build the solar panels? 😉 . I bet lot of fellow CEans would love to build one for themselves.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    According to my knowage it is not so simple to bild soler panal
    So i am also intersted Franklin!!!!
  • Follow Franklin
    Follow Franklin
    Hello Friends,

I researched building my own solar panels several months back and am surprised that others did not find as much information. To build one yourself (and make the price worth your while) you need to purchase "factory seconds" which are easily obtained on Ebay. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have not yet built my own, but let me show you the "walk through" that I bookmarked and is inspiring me. He built a 60 watt panel for approx $100 dollars. A new factory panel @ 60 W cost anywhere from $250 - $350. I saw several other "do it yourself guides". But this is the best one that I obtained for free.

Great Walk Through (w/ pictures): How I built an electricity producing Solar Panel
    Great Deals on Solar Cells (one of many on Ebay): #-Link-Snipped-#
    Same Output at the "Home Built" but well over double the price: #-Link-Snipped-#

Conclusion: For the price that we can build our own panels, what are we doing here? Lets break our dependency on fossil fuels and save a buck. Hail the Sun!

SPM
  • Follow Franklin
    Follow Franklin
    PS look at the Wind Turbine that the same guy made. There is a link on the site for it. Really impressive.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Using solar power to supply energy for a thermoaccoustic heat pump might be a good way to go as it is a much more efficient means for cooling via less moving parts. Your draw would drop considerably. In addition, avoiding CFCs would also make your deivece even more green.
  • greenenergystore
    greenenergystore
    sravan219
    hi friends.
    I have done it by using DC fans. It takes 2 amp*12 volt=24 watts only. you can visit deveshitechnology.com
  • mahesh9983
    mahesh9983
    Alright lets get serious-
    for a 2 ton AC the following calculation shud be applicable-
    (source-https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070826093350AA71sMU)
    As 2 Ton AC is taking max 14 to 15 Amp.Load.
    KW= VI
    = 15*220
    =3.3 kwh

Now what would be expenses associated with this kind of solar set-up ?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Also, thermal exchange panels mounted onto the building structure will greatly reduce energy consumption of a HVAC system. Especially when combines with an EMS and modern VFD units.
  • greenenergystore
    greenenergystore
    mahesh9983
    Alright lets get serious-
    for a 2 ton AC the following calculation shud be applicable-
    (source-https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070826093350AA71sMU)
    As 2 Ton AC is taking max 14 to 15 Amp.Load.
    KW= VI
    = 15*220
    =3.3 kwh

Now what would be expenses associated with this kind of solar set-up ?
    there are two things you need to take care:

1. A/C takes an impulsive load so you have to take your system design capacity at 3.3 *3=9.6 kv

2. designing solar system will heavily depend upon the how many no of hours you are going to use this system.

for example for 3 hours consumption;

3 kv*3= 9kva[kilo watt hour] energy is required

so you need to plan 9kva/3=3 kva solar panels and 120 volt 6 kva inverter system. cost would be roughly= 3*400=12,00,000 rs

so this option is costly and ROI is also not good but there are other means you can get cooling in much much lesser cost.. Could you tell me in which geographical location you want to make your project so that I can suggest you some different option..

with warm regards

deveshitechnology.com
  • Roddick
    Roddick
    Looking forward to hear about new project , wish you all the success in your aim.

-----------------
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    How about heating water in copper pipes, like in solar water heaters. and using it to power a Stirling engine( which are highly efficient).[​IMG]

It will start rotating just by "heat of hand". The one shown above will start rotating for a 4 degree centigrade temperature difference the upper and lower plate.

The lower plate can be heated by the water and the engine stats rotating.

I recko the sterling engine can be used for compression of the refrigarant directly. Can we build a compressor cor this purpose?
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    gg_gaurav
    According to my knowage it is not so simple to bild soler panal
    So i am also intersted Franklin!!!!
    I agree with Gaurav, Building solar cell is tough. I know a senior of mine, who had this for his final year project and failed miserably. But, that is the only way one can learn.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    There are some patents like
    US Patent 6701721 - Stirling engine driven heat pump with fluid interconnection

United States Patent 5088284: [SIZE=+1]Compressor integral with Stirling engine

This may prove useful. you can find the pdf at freepatentsonline[dot]com or at patentstorm[dot]com

[/SIZE]
  • mahesh9983
    mahesh9983
    greenenergystore
    there are two things you need to take care:

1. A/C takes an impulsive load so you have to take your system design capacity at 3.3 *3=9.6 kv

2. designing solar system will heavily depend upon the how many no of hours you are going to use this system.

for example for 3 hours consumption;

3 kv*3= 9kva[kilo watt hour] energy is required

so you need to plan 9kva/3=3 kva solar panels and 120 volt 6 kva inverter system. cost would be roughly= 3*400=12,00,000 rs

so this option is costly and ROI is also not good but there are other means you can get cooling in much much lesser cost.. Could you tell me in which geographical location you want to make your project so that I can suggest you some different option..

with warm regards

deveshitechnology.com
    Central India, and Mostly maharashtra !
  • mahesh9983
    mahesh9983
  • lakshmana
    lakshmana
    sravan219
    hi friends.
    so nice please give the ideas about the same

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Register now at the website , a place where students from all over gather to learn, grow and have fun discussing a wide range of topics in forums. This site...
Hi ... I am a II year ece student....do we have any software to perform the Electronic circuits..other than Pspice/orcad
Can you explain what is recursion function and how to stop a recursion function? It would be helpful if you offer some code examples and explanation.
Hi,​ ​Check out www FavorGoods com for awesome name brand Shoes,Handbags,Hats,Hoodies,Jeans,Lacoste Shoes, Shorts,Sunglasses,Boots,T-Shirts, watches, clothes,Belts,Boots,Jackets, Jerseys,Jewelry, Suit,Wallets,and more! low prices. Website: www.FavorGoods.com​
Evening all, Im new to the website, I found it through google so i thought id drop a few questions in the hope that some of you clever people will...