Rules are created to be broken - Abstract Topic Group Discussion

Topic is clear:
Rules are created to be broken

1. You have to assume that you are one of the members of a real GD.
2. Members of a GD who take initiatives are always appreciated. Go ahead first.
3. Synchronize your thoughts before putting forward your opinions.
4. Express positive attitude by hearing what others have to say and show inclination towards finding a solution to the problem being discussed.

Start the GD.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Topic is clear:

1. You have to assume that you are one of the members of a real GD.
    2. Members of a GD who take initiatives are always appreciated. Go ahead first.
    3. Synchronize your thoughts before putting forward your opinions.
    4. Express positive attitude by hearing what others have to say and show inclination towards finding a solution to the problem being discussed.

Start the GD.
    I think that I have already broken the first rule above as I am posting without knowing who are members of this GD.

Robert Thouless was the author of a classic: Straight and Crooked Thinking.

One of the points he makes is relevant here. Most of the debates hang on the confusion (deliberate or implied) between all and some. If we consider the above premise, it appears as though it s saying, '(all) rules are created to be broken (by all). Words in the brackets are assumed. This generates heated arguments. If the statement is paraphrased as: (Some) rules are created to be broken (by some sometimes), there will be hardly anything to discuss.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Wow! Nice way to end the debate before it even begins! Good! 😀
  • lal
    lal
    Nobody is perfect..!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jaguar is previewing its upcoming entry-level sports car with the striking C-X16 Concept at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show. It gets a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 with 375 horsepower on tap,...
What advantages will an ornithopter enjoy when compared to a normal air plane if it is designed for passengers transportation purpose? Its like ornithopters flying between airports rather than the...
Hello everybody I would like to share this PHP Tutorial which I found useful, in the following link PHP 101 (part 1): Down the Rabbit Hole regards
People are tweeting everywhere.. Either this was the BIGGEST earthquake to strike Delhi Or another Bomb exploded near my house. 😲 Earthquake in Delhi.. People say it was a big...
Hi, my name is harsh, am doing my final year in computer science, and i was very much interested to a project on cloud computing. I have basic understanding of...