router configuration problem

Hi,

I came across an article that it is in the data link layer of OSI model that the "router configuration problem" resides. Is this statement true in the first place?

Additionally, what exactly is this "router configuration problem"?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    link to article
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    durga
    link to article
    I was solving GATE CSE problems from a book and this question was one of the objective questions in this book
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Not sure of the circumstance of that question you saw, but in the networking world, "router configuration problem" is very ambiguous. Router configurations nowadays are advanced enough to extend through the whole OSI layers.

In most cases of troubleshooting, I suppose issues would fall under Layers 2 & 3.
  • hemantbothra
    hemantbothra
    Ash is right it depends on context the statement is mentioned.

As OSI model is composed of 7 Layer.
    Layer 1 - Physical - cables, connectors and media { electrons(wired) , radio frequency(wireless), light (fibre) }
    PDU - bits

Layer 2 - Data Link Layer - consist of two sub-layer
    a) LLC (logical link control) which is closer to Network Layer
    b) MAC (media access control) which is closer to Physical Layer and consist of MAC address.
    Devices - network interface card (NIC) which is present in PC, Switches & Routers.
    PDU - Frames

Layer 3 - Network Layer - logical address i.e. hierarchical addressing.
    Device used is Router, PC or multi-layer switches where you can assign ip address.
    PDU - Packet

Hence, data link layer is 1st possibility troubleshooting after receiving the signal from the wire (bits).

One example of Router configuration problem:
    not assigning IP address to an router interface connected to LAN. If somebody on the LAN is trying to ping the router's ip address. Router is not reachable.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

recently i am working on asp.net and now i am moving towards WCF to make application faster using jquery,ajax and json am i going right ? i want to know...
Based out of Dwarka, The Testament is that rare startup which doesn't have big-shot IITians on its founding team, that grew without funding, which thrives by floating around inspiring stories...
Is a Embedded system course is better than developer and are we also eligible for developer job even after completion of embedded course...............
Imaging technology has developed exponentially over the recent past owing to the emergence of cutting edge technologies and innovative methodology. All over the world, research departments have concentrated on the...