Role of a battery in an automobile

what is the role of a battery in an automobile? I am be-known to the fact that I is used to drive all the electronic appliances like headlights, speedometers,indicators etc.

To be specific I want to find out the purpose for which we use battery during the starting of the automobile. Can an automobile start when it is devoid of the battery??

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In the early days of cars this is how cars were started:

We had a Petter oil engine run irrigation pump at my grandfather's farm in the fifties, which had to be started this way.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Battery provides the potential for the spark plug to initiate the first few sparks and also to run lights and other stuff when the engine is off
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The battery also runs the generator as a motor to do the cranking shown in the video. As @#-Link-Snipped-# said
    it also
    provides the potential for the spark plug to initiate the first few sparks
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yep, the battery provides power to the starter motor, ECU & plugs for initial startup. It also allows you to run things without the engine running. The alternator generally takes over providing power at most operating RPMs.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    bioramani
    In the early days of cars this is how cars were started"
    Even today I see the sharing autos are started by tying a rope at back and pulling it forcefully (I don't know the exact mechanism..) But this is what I saw.
  • lal
    lal
    Does a diesel engine need battery to make sparks where combustion happens because of compression? In a diesel engine it is used to power the starter motor alone(and other electricals), right?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I don't think battery is a 'necessity' to start a vehicle with kick mechanism. I myself drove my bike for a week without a battery. Of course, not applicable for the automobiles only with button start (dunno why it is called self start? At least my bike doesn't start 'itself'.lol). For such vehicles, the only way for the ignition to start will be taking energy from some source which happens to be the battery.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    [Prototype]
    I don't think battery is a 'necessity' to start a vehicle with kick mechanism. For such vehicles, the only way for the ignition to start will be taking energy from some source which happens to be the battery.
    First kick oneself for letting the battery die Then follow these instuctions:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let us understand the difference between COP (coefficient of performance) and efficiency (of heat transferring device) in relation to thermodynamics and refrigeration.
hi all ... i am max0077 {max is my programming alias and i can't get the simple "max" so that's why i am using max 0077} EDUCATION - BE [computer...
Generally in synchronous motor,the speed is maintained constant inorder to maintain the frequency as constant..why the frequency should be made constant?
So I went to my alma mater and was engaged in a conversation with one of the professors about promoting entrepreneurship among the students. The professor declared that there are...
As a second year electronics and communication student,where and how to apply for summer internships?plz help..