Robot Raptor Inspired From Velociraptor Runs At 28.5 Miles Per Hour - KAIST Engineers

A team of engineering researchers from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology's (KAIST) MSC Lab has taken the wraps off of a new kind of robot that can run as fast as 28.5 miles per hour. Whoa. Named as the 'Raptor', the robot has been able to outrun the fastest human being by 1.1 ph. If you remember the 70 pound Cheetah Robot Is Just As Efficient As Cheetah!, that was deemed as the fastest almost two years back when it ran with all its might at 29.3 miles per hour. Another quite recent example of a running bot is the OutRunner Is The World's First Legged Remote Controlled Running Robot, that could run at 20 mph and came in two versions - core and performance. The new robotic Raptor is however, quite different from these bots as it is smaller in size and super lightweight.

Instead of using artificial feet, it has been designed using 2 flexible carbon-fiber blades and is powered by one motor apiece. The robot efficiently conserves energy while running by using a tendon attached to these blades. On each side, there's a pole attached that acts like a tail and helps the robot in keeping its balance by swinging whenever the robot starts running and makes it prevent a fall. This design is inspired from the prehistoric dinosaur known as Velociraptor.

velociraptor-inspires-fast-running-robot-670

To strike down its competitor - the Cheetah Robot in a running race, the robot raptor will be worked upon by the KAIST team over the next few months. It has to be noted however that both the Raptor and Cheetah can't run on race course just yet. They are only capable of running on specially designed tracks at the moment.

In the following video, you can see the demonstration of robot raptor's running, how it tackles obstacles that come in its way, its tail-assisted pitch control and dynamic stability control. Take a look -

What are your thoughts on the new robotic raptor? Share with us in comments below.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    If possible in future, i would love to sit on a veliciraptor like this and travel.Its like a fantasy but May be possible.it could be fun to travel on a veliciraptor rather than a car which has Wheels!!!
    on topic : its a great achievement by adding a rod like strictures in both sides to implement stability and control.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi. I am trying to play DVD files of 7GB in size but unable to do so. The files when opened in PowerDVD or Media Player Classic or any other...
Hey there ! I'm working on a WordPress.com blog and here's the problem : I'm using default Twenty Fourteen Theme and unable to change the main content width. The main...
Harshad Italiya submitted a new project: USBtoSerial Converter - Low cost USB to Serial Converter ​USB to Serial is a low cost, easy to use and multipurpose device. Now a...
I have seen there are some simulator available for basic Electronics devices like Pspice, Proteus, Circuit Lab. They are providing simulations for the basic electronics parts like Controller, Resistor, Diodes,...
I want to make final yr projct.My colge want me to make projct that has new concpts and on d odr hand dey dont accpt websites.I em cnfsd nw abt...