Reusable rockets? double the fuel ?

Just hopped across this SpaceX's Grasshopper video which made another feat this month.

Is it good (or i would prefer the word feasible to introduce re-usable / balanced re-entry rocket considering the cost of building one rather than burning around double the fuel required to take one up ?

(Not to forget, if it plans to come back down right from hundreds of Kms, it would carry large amount of fuel. That would require some more extra quantity to actually lift it to space in the first case)

Sure the fuel required to get back down is lesser as the work is done just to slow down its free fall but that too by dynamically balancing it all the way ?
But that stuff they do there seems really cool .

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    IS this video real?Can a rocket really land like this from where it had started its flight?(I am not a scientist so please forgive if I made a stupid question) because I had never heard or saw anything like this.
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    IS this video real?Can a rocket really land like this from where it had started its flight?(I am not a scientist so please forgive if I made a stupid question) because I had never heard or saw anything like this.
    haha.. there is nothing stupid in this world 😛 neither am i a scientist 😉
    yes. it is real. The technology is new and you can google it . Many news channels are airing this too.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is an amazing feat by an Indian who has seen more and experienced more than any of us here. Around The World On a Motorcycle: An Indian Does It...
WHY SOMETIMES WE GIVING CHOCK TO VEHICLE
Apple's new event will take place at 10 AM Pacific at Yerba Buena Center for arts in San Francisco, California. The even is expected to see the public release of...
There are several parameters which each and every component depend on. It is the sole duty of every Electronics engineer to understand his need and find a component that best...
I am turning unlucky in having mobile phones recently Well this is the description of the problem I have a Nokia 310 mobile phone I promise you I was preserving...