Resume tips for engineering college grads!

Some other discussion on CE inspired me to write this post. Following are few tips on resume writing for engineering college grads appearing for campus placements -

Don't copy your friend's resume:

Sounds very obvious, right? Don't copy your friend's resume and change your name & grades/percentages. It's a good idea to spend some time writing your own resume - because its all about you!

At least, do not copy your friend's hobbies/interests.

Keep it simple.

Don't flood your resume with everything about you. Just write what matters. If you won 2nd prize in mid-school district level drawing competition, its cool. But it doesn't impress us.

Do not use complicated words in your career objective. I once asked a candidate to tell me what his career objective was - and he couldn't recall his career objective! What the !

Understand what you've written:

Go through your resume 5 times before you submit it anywhere. Do you understand each & everything you've mentioned in your resume? Will you be able to answer questions based on your resume? For example, if you mention 'reading' as your hobby - then be prepared to handle questions on your hobby.

Pay attention to your email address:

Make sure you have a good, professional looking email address. coolhunk4u @ yahoo .com doesn't look very good.

More tips will follow. If you have questions, feedback - post in this thread.

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    I insist on point 3 "understand what you've written".

A lot of people write things they once read about or have taken some classes in college but they don't even how to write its name, like writing Ubuntu Unix, jerks show up in little things like this.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ubuntu Unix! haha.. well, it does help to ask someone else to proof read your resume too.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    by the way,
    When I was preparing my resume, and of-course gave it for a proof read to my cousins, I was advised not to mention about my MS ambitions or my GRE-TOFEL scores( which I had already appeared for).
    The justification given behind it was " they will think you are planning to quit the company in a very near future" and might come to a decision you wont be for long and not offer you a job. So don't mention about further studies "or something on same lines.

I am sure there are quite many like me who keep options open( infact indecisive) and can anything land in such confusion.
    Any suggestions for them?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Hobbies play very important role in resume.

Once my friend who copied my resume copied my hobbies as well.

Reading books(sci-fi) and listening music.

He was asked what books you read about sci-fi he answered "Alice in the wonderland".

He was asked few other books he answered I read only that book !!!

SO hobbies are also important , mention what you do rather than what others do!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    76abankcolony
    can any one give me a samle resume for btech fresher
    Why not: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We surface ophthalmic lens of plastic material which also generate plastic powder. we daily through it in garbage. Can we recycle or use to manufacture other product.
Hey friends...what exactly you mean by Cache memory and how exactly it increases the performance of a processor? Need some expert to throw some light on this.
The question is pretty straightforward. We need world peace. Do you think the solution lies in Ahimsa? Why?
I thought I'd add in some additional questions, so our responses will be holistic. Also, analogies are highly encouraged, just like MaRo has done. - What is the significance of...
please send me full information about this...... SMS Based automatic vehicle accident information system