Researchers At Stanford University Promise Cable-Free Computing

Research and Engineers at Stanford University bring a promise of something that will make us free from tangled wires of computers. They have designed a prism like device that can split light in different colours and can bend it at right angles. In general, computers are going to use optics to transfer data instead of wires, which makes use of electricity to do so. Researchers are using a tiny slice of silicon itched with a bar-code like pattern and they call it as optical link.

CE02

Talking about the optical link, when a light beam is pushed at the link, it splits the light in two wavelengths and forms a T-shaped structure. Researchers believe that, this is the big step towards creating a complete system that will connect computer components with light rather than cables.

crazyengg001

The research leader Jelena Vuckovic says that light can carry more data than electricity and transmission of photons is more easy and fast than the transmission of electrons. Previously, Jelena and her team have developed an algorithm that has two outputs. First, it automates the designing process of optical structures and second, enables them to create nanoscale structure to control light.

Currently, Jelena Vuckovic and lead author Alexander Piggott have employed the algorithm to design as well as built and test an optical link compatible with the current optical fibre network. We look forward to further results from the research team. What are your thoughts on this research? Share with us through comments section below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am discussing this issue which many peoples are having today , just because a backlog they not remain able to apply for job (in 99.9%) cases No matter how...
is there have any cheap method to produce energy by using municipal wastes. if have any idea please give me.i need a help.
hello guys, i need to design two control panels. 1. MCC and 2. WTP Electrical load for the WTP panel is 8 pumps and two systems (ozonator & Ultra Voilet...
hye... frnds i m back here after a long term. wanna be continue here as a active member i was missing to my crazy engineers group..... so, hope you all...
electricity generation by using air flows in railway junctions when trains are passed, when train passed in rail near the rail have high speed of flowing of air,depending on speed...