replacing carburetter with injector system

I am working on replacing a carburetter from a bike engine with an electronic petrol injector (similar to that used in car engines nowadays).

I have planned the whole system to be like this-

[​IMG]

Although the system used in cars is more complex & uses more sensors, mainly to outperform carburetter, but my purpose here is just to make the engine run the way as it was with the carburetter.

The mass air flow sensor senses the amount of air flowing through the manifold during the intake stroke and sends this information to the ECU in the form of a 0-5V or PWM signal. The ECU then turns the injector on, and injector injects fuel in the intake manifold which mixes with the incoming air and goes to the engine cylinder through the intake port. The amount of fuel injected corresponds to the amount of air in the manifold to maintain the correct A/F ratio at a particular load.
One thing that I am finding difficult is that how would I know that what A/F mixture is required at a particular load for the engine on which I am working.

Please share your views on this.

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    If you can get the information of gear & speed in the form of signal then you can decide the required quality of a/f mixture. By sensing this information you can prepare small program for required strength of mixture.
  • mechky
    mechky
    ShrinkDWorld
    If you can get the information of gear & speed in the form of signal then you can decide the required quality of a/f mixture. By sensing this information you can prepare small program for required strength of mixture.
    How will I decide this required quality of A/F mixture. Whatever knowledge of A/F mixture known to me is-
    Idling : 12.5 (0-20% of rated power)
    Normal Power : 16.5 (20-75% of rated power)
    Maximum Power : 13 (75-100 % of rated power)

But this is generalized data as given in books, and I think the values must be varying from engine to engine. How will I get to know what A/F mixture is being used by the engine which I am going to modify?

Taking above values as an example, in the normal power range i.e 20-75% of rated power, the A/F ratio won't be a constant value of 16.5 & its value will be unique corresponding to each load in that range. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I am not a master in IC engine. but i can suggest you that keep these theoretical values in mind & try to run the engine at various loads. Note down the each trial. After this you can get rough but close idea of requirement of a/f ratio of your engine.
    And while designing your fuel injector, please find the relation for required power & required acceleration for particular change of speed. Here you have to search/ read lots of reference books of IC engine. have maximum focus on various graphs they are easier to understand how engine work at variable loading conditions.
    Keep in touch!😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am getting Problem in saving my event data using google Calendar API in language such as hindi other than english. It saves data successfully but shows some strange codes...
A screenshot of the GDrive (Google's Cloud Storage Service) made an appearance after a Geekwire reader leaked it. A lot of people are saying it is a poorly edited version...
is it doing paper presentations during any college symposium and events worth???? my actual question is what is actually the use in doing paper presentations???? will it be a bonus...
is there any one from 2nd yr mechanical dept who is ready for combine study for gate and other competitive exams????
I have Nikon camera. Today, when i used it, it said "Battery Exhausted" and it's showing the same thing again & again. I have checked the manual. It has written...