Relaunching the CE Documentation project

CEans,

Everyday, CE gets hundreds of members who join CE. Not many of them are familiar with the concepts of online forums [surprising, but true]. We need to setup easy to understand & brief tutorials/guides in our New Members' Joint.

How many of you would be willing to lend a helping hand on this project? All you have to do is to come up with a brief tutorial or a "how-to" guide on section allotted to you.

If we get volunteers, I'll do the initial work and let you all know how to get started.

Let's get this done. What do you say?

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Aye! Bring on the new bees!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, in the mean time, can we start integrating MediaWiki with vB? Once we have something typed up, a number of CEans can dynamically update it.. just like on Wikipedia ๐Ÿ˜€

I'll not continue with screencasts for now, since I'm super busy. Anyone else is free to try though ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll work mosting on screenshots and maybe integrate them in SlideShare, like Biggie suggested last time. It's much faster and easier that way.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question is - do we really need a system that needs update? I think its one time activity. Let me know what you think.

I guess I've a better idea to solve the purpose. I'll update everyone soon.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I dont think its a one time activity. I'm sure you've seen the existing wiki's.. they always have some sort of content added. We can use the wiki for other things than the CE documentation. Think in the long run, biggie! ๐Ÿ˜‰

[EDIT]
    Try adding the integration biggie, and I will personally take charge to add the structure and some content, I promise! You wont regret it ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Shall we kick start this (again)? ๐Ÿ˜› Or are we waiting until the CE editors are chosen?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    *bump*

Shall we kick start this (again)? ๐Ÿ˜› Or are we waiting until the CE editors are chosen?
    I am ready to start it from today only. After all going to get 3 days continuous leave, but what I am supposed to write in it. How to use this forum? Isn't it?๐Ÿ˜•.If it is so, I will send for review once will get done to Editors. OK Guys?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Instruct on what to write and in what format. I may well start it tomorrow or the day after.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess instead of defining the format, let's go creative. Ash did videos couple of months ago. Maybe someone of you can come up with a really simple to follow guide. Use your own creativity ๐Ÿ˜€

Few tips might be useful:

1. Don't combine everything into one single article/guide. We may have separate articles/guides that describe each functionality. For example, how to post could be one guide and how to send private message could be another.

2. Let's try to keep the guides as small as possible. No one would like to read an essay.

3. Use screenshots/images.

@ Ash: YouTube now does HD video [But I'm not sure how to embed the HD version in posts. let's see.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, good to know. I hope their streaming wont be too slow! By the way, the flash file I uploaded is gone ๐Ÿ˜” Trying to find it on the computer.

As Biggie said, don't combine everything. When you write about how to post specifically, include different scenarios such as:
    - The first time the user posts (what are the formatting options available, what does this tag do, etc)
    - Replying a topic
    - Editing a post
    - Starting a new thread
    - Posting regulations (No SMS, etc)

With lots of screenshots ! ๐Ÿ˜€ Either you can take them separately, or combine them together like I've done here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    Instruct on what to write and in what format. I may well start it tomorrow or the day after.
    Scorpion

To start with ,

I am going to make a document with sceenshots ofcourse showing the functionality of each and every tab used in CE forum. Will tha be ok?

@Scorpion: If you want to start with you can start preparing function of each and every icon shown in post window.

Right now, we will start like this.If possible we will make everything in one document then CE Admin/CE mods/CE editors can separate the things according to them later.

I guess,in the starting only we should not try to make it complicated.๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ive re-uploaded my old screencast video. Hopefully you can get some ideas from it ๐Ÿ˜€

Click -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    Ive re-uploaded my old screencast video. Hopefully you can get some ideas from it ๐Ÿ˜€

Click -> #-Link-Snipped-#
    Awesome video ash. Thanks for the information. ๐Ÿ˜€. I guess it will take time for me in starting to make such a tutorial but I will try to do it. Anyways will keep on asking you for any queries.OK?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shalini_goel14
    Awesome video ash. Thanks for the information. ๐Ÿ˜€. I guess it will take time for me in starting to make such a tutorial but I will try to do it. Anyways will keep on asking you for any queries.OK?
    No problem ๐Ÿ˜€ But, priority remains with written documents and screenshots.

CEans, lets set a target on when to finish this? By end of Feb maybe?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    No problem ๐Ÿ˜€ But, priority remains with written documents and screenshots.

CEans, lets set a target on when to finish this? By end of Feb maybe?
    Can't say anything because I have serious work in office till Feb end I guess ๐Ÿ˜”.May extend to even March.๐Ÿ˜”

[PS: No tensions it will get finished if Shalini starts it once.]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hah, a simple documentation project needs a month? :neutral: Target max. 10 days folks.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Hah, a simple documentation project needs a month? :neutral: Target max. 10 days folks.
    Atleast a month is better than not a start even.Everyone here has other lots of work to do also. Anyways Thanks for demotivation ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    10 days? No way ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    10 days is impossible? You all are unfit to work in CE Headquarters then.

Joking! ๐Ÿ˜

Don't worry, I think we can do it in 10 days. Let's first mark the start date and a draft a plan for the project.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ok, we can start lets say.. March 1st? *grin*

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear freinds, I would be very thankful of you if u can please tell me that how does a media player works....................and if i wan't to develop my own media...
can anyone tell me the good topic in information retrieval......
I want to upload some pictures. How should i upload them? I saw there is an option by entering the URL of the picture, but the pictures are in my...
Hi Guys, Im Karthik doing my 4rth year, Mechanical Engineering in Bits Pilani, Goa and Im proficient in Softwares like Pro/E , Catia , Solidworks, Ansys, Ls Prepost , Ls...
hello,to everyone ,i'm a b.tech student and thanks for accepting me as a crazyengineer