Regression testing

Can anyone shed more light on this?

I know why it is needed and all that at a theoretical level itself. What I need to know more about is -
  1. How to write automated scripts?
  2. Which software to use, what are the configurations of the same?
  3. How does this figure out in XP or Agile development?
Help appreciated!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka

I know why it is needed and all that at a theoretical level itself. What I need to know more about is -
    Help appreciated!
    Here we go..

There are a number of ways to write automated scripts. There are commercial tools available which let you write automate the scripts, execute them, create a report and much more. The most popular tool available in the market is QTP ( Quick Test Professional). There are others too, like Selenium (Browser add in, Open Source), Rational Robot, etc.

These tools either have their own scripting language or support different scripting languages. All you need to do is script the sequence of actions to be performed on your application to test it. The tool then runs the script and produces a detailed information about the execution.

There are many tools available. Selenium, jWebUnit, httpUnit, QTP, Rational Robot etc. However the trouble ( 馃榿 ) with commercial software is that they are damn costly.

I guess I'll wait for someone to answer this 馃榾
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Wow! Thanks a lot for the information Biggie, any idea about opensource applications?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Wow! Thanks a lot for the information Biggie, any idea about opensource applications?
    Yep, selenium is a tool developed by "Thoughtworks: A global technology consultancy | Thoughtworks". Its very easy to use and supports many scripting languages. I'll have ask one of my friends to talk about this who is more experienced in the field of software testing.

I guess we have many CEans who are experienced in Software Testing. Maybe they can update us with more information.
  • akravikanth
    akravikanth
    In computing field, Regression testing is used to uncover the bugs which has been introduced due to code changes... It is a continuous testing which does the same types of testing to ensure the changed source code or any bug which has been fixed is fine and does not affect any functionality or performance....

For automation of these tests, PERL is the most widely used language.

In my company, regression team will do the testing of the Source code Tree.

The theory is, Everyday developers will pull out the source code from the tree and they will start to work on the code.. After the change, they will commit the change to the tree. Likewise all individual feature developers will commit their own changes. The job of the regression tester is, after all the commit, they will run the tests on the source code tree to ensure that the code change by one or more developers is not affecting the functionality. So that, the next day when developer resumes the work, he can pull out the stable code from the tree again which avoids the double work when they happen to pull out the source code which is unstable and missing or loss in functionality.....
  • Archana Kannouj
    Archana Kannouj
    Hi,

I am just trying to give you brief idea about QTP automation tool.

I am working on QTP (Automation Tool) from last two years. And I find it very easy.

You can record the steps and run it as many times as you want.
    It is able to work with any web, java or windows client application

As regression testing is to test the old functionalities which should work fine after either implementing new functionalities or fixing a bug. Means again to test the same thing.
    So it鈥檚 better to automate those kinds of test cases.

To start with QTP just install it and play with it. And QTP uses Vb script as its programming language, this makes it accessible to anyone with even minimal development experience and so whatever feature is provided by VB that all can be used while scripting in QTP.
    In QTP you can automate your test case in two ways:
    Use Record and Play mode
    Or Write scripts by your own (using Descriptive programming)

And even if you use record mode to automate test case, you will find the generated code easy to understand. And it will give you details about the failure step as well(after executing the script), making your debugging process easier.
    You can make common libraries that can be used by group of people.

If you need more information, do tell me 馃榾

Thanks,
    Archana
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Thanks a lot for this information Archana!! 馃榾

Will definitely ping if help is required.
  • vips78
    vips78
    kidakaka
    kidakaka
    Help appreciated!

Please fin my inline comments:

Ans. What is a test script: -
    A test script is an automated version of a test case. There are different ways of writing a test script but it depends upon the test tool that is being used for the automation activity.
    The most common automation tools support record playback type of scripting, there are different recording modes available for recording too:
    a. Context sensitive mode - Objects are identified with their context
    b. Low level - objects are identified with the help of their XY coordinates.
    c. Analog Recording Mode - Recording is done with the help of the mouse trace. (here an analog track is prepared with the detailed mouse movements.)

But depending upon the complexity of the targeted application descriptive programming may be required for the automation activity.

Ans. The are lot many testing tools available in market but the tool selection depends upon the targeted application.

Ans: In Agile the test automation activity may be very useful for every sprint, as the the testing tool will catalyze the regression testing activity that may be done in order to check if the inclusion of the new features does not hamper the existing functionality. The automation tool will take over the re-testing job from the QA's so that they can concentrate more on the new feature rather than performing redundant activities.

I hope this answers your query. It鈥檚 a broad level description of the questions that you have asked. We can be more specific if you can provide more details regarding the application where you want to implement test automation.

Vips 馃榿

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey friends, i need the details of mini projects that could be done on the plateform of vb and databases. i have heard about -----library management systems -----hotel management systems...
can we use gas turbines in automobiles in spite of engine if they are can anybody let me know more about them:sshhh::sshhh:
I would like to know wether we can earth the body of a DC machine just like that for a AC machine?If not could you please explain y its shouldnt...
CEans, First it was Altavista, then it was Yahoo and now, its Google. The world has seen improvements in web search technology over the years. Ultimately, crazy engineers like you...
I'll keep the first post short & sweet ( 馃槖 ) - What according to you is the future of email? Will it be replaced by something else or we're...