Reasons you're still not using uBuntu?

CEans,

I've been trying my hands on latest uBuntu 10.04 LTS and I'm more than happy to see what its capable of. I was paranoid about using uBuntu or giving it a try; but now I'm seriously considering that uBuntu could be my default operating system.

uBuntu's got no viruses, it doesn't crash, its compatible with every damn peripheral you attach to your computer, it lets you browse safely and securely ...and above all - ITS FREE!

Then instead of using a costly operating system (or Pirated one) why not switch to uBuntu?

PS: You'll be pleasantly surprised that uBuntu does better graphics than Windows without the need of graphics card!

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I need to learn to set up Virtual connectivity before I make Ubuntu my default OS. As of now, I use both ( Windows for my Virtual Private Network needs)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Durga: If you already have Windows, simply resize your partition from Disk Management Tools and free up about 10-20 GB (if you're just trying uBuntu). I've installed uBuntu on 50 GB free space I created the same way. Then simply install uBuntu. By the way you can try uBuntu through LiveCD (just pop in the CD/DVD in your drive and boot from it).
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    I've been using Ubuntu since its 9.10 ver was released. Installed 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) as soon as it was released.
    Once you get used to it, its very easy.

I run Windows Xp only when necessary (i.e. for win32 programming purposes, gaming)

PS: Even a layman can use Ubuntu, it's very user friendly, no need to go the command line way.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I don't know how to install Ubuntu!
    I didn't try that though!!

Actually I want to install in separate drive where in C drive has Windows in it.
    How to do that?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ K

I already have Ubuntu 😛 and I have mounted my windows file system , hence I can access all files of Windows in Ubuntu without any intermediate softwares. The problem is not with Ubuntu , as I am ok ok acquainted with bits and pieces of installation of software and other network set ups and working through terminals. All I need is a Nortel VPN client for Linux or for that matter any other VPN client using which iI can remotely access my Work machine from home I had never tried to install a VPN client on linux . That is a crucial part of my work where I might have to sometimes work at odd hours and cant really travel to office then.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    English-Scared
    I don't know how to install Ubuntu!
    I didn't try that though!!

Actually I want to install in separate drive where in C drive has Windows in it.
    How to do that?
    Installing Ubuntu is very simple, just follow on screen instructions. There is one more good feature called 'install inside windows' through which you can install Ubuntu like any other application in your windows os. For that you will have to insert the CD while running windows, or just mount the iso image you've downloaded to a virtual drive.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ ES
    As Big K has already pointed out , use disk partitioning to create space first I don't think Disk partitioning works if you don't have more than some 50GB or so .. You can download the iso files for Ubuntu , use a ISO burner to burn it on CD, change the boot up options to make your CD drive as a primary drive to boot up and start to install.
    If you don't want all this, you can simply order for a Ubuntu installation CD which comes with a live CD as well. Personally I prefer asking for the latest version with no /all bugs fixed.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Installing Ubuntu is very simple, just follow on screen instructions. There is one more good feature called 'install inside windows' through which you can install Ubuntu like any other application in your windows os. For that you will have to insert the CD while running windows, or just mount the iso image you've downloaded to a virtual drive.
    well.. i believe that it would be useless to use linux inside windows .the main reason being that we want to use linux specifically and not linux on top of windows, as linux's true potential would get limited by windows. it happens to all kinds of emulator programs.

its best advisable to use linux separately and not over windows.
    as everyone above agrees, installing linux is very simple and can be done just by reading on screen instructions.
    one must just give it a try!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well here are overall steps to install uBuntu -

1. Resize your current windows particition to free up some space ( at least 15-20 GB). If you dont' know how to do this, ask!
    2. Insert uBuntu installation CD/DVD in your drive and restart your computer. Make sure you boot from the CD/DVD (ask if you don't know how to do this).
    3. Once your computer boots into uBuntu; you will have option to 'Try' uBuntu without installation or Install it. There's a nice GUI that asks questions. The installation is completely interactive.
    4. When the installer asks you to choose the partition; select the free space and reduce its size by about 1-2 GB (you simply have to click on drop down arrow to do that). Use it for your '/' (root).
    5. Use the space you freed in step #4 as SWAP partition. That's it.
    6. Proceed with the installation. uBuntu installer will take care of the rest.

Installation is fast and takes you through various features available in the release. Read them if you are using uBuntu for the first time. Else, sip coffee.

Have a happy life.
  • jd3cker
    jd3cker
    1 application keeps me on Windows. Snagit. I use it every single day and I can't find an app that comes close in the Nix world.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I like windows not ubuntu ,as windows is more reliable , faster , and has popular softwares all over the internet.,I dont think that ubuntu is that faster and reliable
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ms_cs
    I like windows not ubuntu ,as windows is more reliable , faster , and has popular softwares all over the internet.,I dont think that ubuntu is that faster and reliable
    I disagree. Except for the games, uBuntu beats Windows (7) in almost all the categories. You can look at following posts that confirm the fact -

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I've Windows 7 and uBuntu 10.04 LTS installed on the same machine and uBuntu takes half the time Windows takes to boot. Shut down is about 70% faster with uBuntu.
  • ankesh.cs2007
    ankesh.cs2007
    some one said that all great work seems impossible when we start.
    starting with Linux is difficult, but when u use to it becomes easy..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    hello guys,

I have a problem , I have installed Ubuntu 10.0.4 and it was running well till yesterday!
    I dont know what happened but not only command prompt appears once I open the system and asks for user ID and password.

How to navigate after that? any ideas guys?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its a matter of preference I suppose. I still Windows XP, 7 and Linux equally. Though I've been using Fedora instead of Ubuntu.
  • callyD
    callyD
    I run it on my computer in the background with Windows 7 and I love using it for servers and so forth.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    English-Scared
    hello guys,

I have a problem , I have installed Ubuntu 10.0.4 and it was running well till yesterday!
    I dont know what happened but not only command prompt appears once I open the system and asks for user ID and password.

How to navigate after that? any ideas guys?

I have installed Ubuntu again! now my problem is resolved! But why that happened?
    and if it happens again what can we do?
  • bharath muthuku
    bharath muthuku
    Hi,

This is my first post or reply in CE after a very long time.... I would like to share why i am wary of installing linux in my system... I installed linux after windows in my system.. The bootloader that handled the switch between the OS was Grub... A strange prob that i faced that time was I didn't know how to uninstall Ubuntu.. The main prob that i faced was uninstalling Ubuntu would remove the Grub Bootloader and i would be unable to log in to windows too... At least that s what some of the forums i checked also told... Later the hard disk crashed and i got a new one... so i never knew how to come out of this prob...

I would like to try Linux if some of u could help me out or guide me....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guess what? Microsoft has opened a restaurant in Taipei to promote its newest operating system, Windows 7. The restaurant previously named "100 Seafood" has been renamed "77 Concept Store" and...
Oh My! I wonder where these browser wars are heading to. Opera surely is obsessed about speed and its latest build, 10.6 Alpha is way speedier than Chrome 6. Look...
We all know differences between window and Linux operating systems Guys whenever someone ask for more secure operating systems then most of times linux is preferred . I don't understand...
LANSING, Mich.— Cloud Computing analyst, www.CloudHarmony.com, performed a comprehensive analysis of twenty (20) Cloud Computing Vendors CPU performance. Cloud Harmony benchmarked more than 150 different cloud server configurations focusing this...
UAE's leading telecom operator, Etisalat is in talks with Reliance Communications to acquire 25% stake. The worth of the deal is estimated at INR. 18000 Cr. Rumors are that Etisalat...