railway engineering

the wheel of train and rail both are made up of steel . why the wheels not get damaged by rubbing. tell me about the the arrangement of wheels and rails.

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    its not that they won't get damaged. there will be wear. but since it's steel it'll take time.
    [โ€‹IMG]
    this is the arrangement of wheels over rails. actually only the inner edges of the rails get worn. so after a period of time the right rail is replaced by left rail and left rail by right rail. so double the life is possible.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ram 783
    the wheel of train and rail both are made up of steel . why the wheels not get damaged by rubbing. tell me about the the arrangement of wheels and rails.
    There is no rubbing of the wheel surface on the rail surface. There is only a rolling contact It is only brakes are fully applied to a fast moving train do sparks fly and rubbing wear takes place. Rolling contact wear is much slower.
    Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is dedicated to all the terms and words used by Civil and Structural engineers.๐Ÿ˜€
I just want to ask what is the difference between the subject Hydraulics from the subject Hydrology???๐Ÿ˜• What are the lessons to be discussed on this two subject?? Why is...
hi ๐Ÿ˜‰ m in 2nd yr pursuin btech in electronics n comm engg. ..... wz planning to join summer training course in embedded systems / networking from CDAC mohali ...๐Ÿ˜’...
Stratasys FDM Technology supported the design and build of the new AMR-One race car FRANKFURT - 28th March 2011 - (NASDAQ: SSYS) Stratasys Inc. says Aston Martin Racing (AMR) was...
Hi there, I just want to share this powerful motivating, inspirational video clip. Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜ [video=youtube;UWCn_PO1Ze4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWCn_PO1Ze4[/video]