Rack and Pinion Tooth Design

Hey everyone, I found this forum while trying to do some research on rack and pinion tooth design. I'm having trouble getting my teeth to match up and I'm hoping I can get some help. My only concern at the moment is making the teeth match so that I can create a 3D model. I was attempting to get dimensions for the addendum and dedendum as well as the tooth thickness based on my pitch circle radius (1 inch), a certain number of teeth (arbitrary for now) and a pressure angle of 20 degrees. If someone could please help me out with finding formulas for my tooth geometry based on the dimensions I have, I would really appreciate it. Also, if you are aware of any useful resources that may help me out, please send them my way.

Thanks.

Replies

• smhale
    smhale
    I should mention that the formulas I tried to use are as follows:

Number of Teeth = N
    Pitch Diameter = d
    Diametral Pitch = Pd = N/d
    Addendum = 1/Pd
    Dedendum = 1.25/Pd
    Tooth Thickness = 1.571/Pd
  • rebellionofrebel
    rebellionofrebel
    Refer to any standard Machine Design book like R norton or the one by Shigley.. U will get what u r looking for. Also try out AGMA handbooks or standard Design Data books they have all requisite formulae to guide you through. a thoeretical treatise will only be found in the books i had mentioned with authors or the AGMA handbooks
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
  • smhale
    smhale
    Thanks for the replies guys. I actually need exact physical dimensions to create a virtual model but that template will certainly help when I attempt to create a physical mockup. The formulas I have were taken from R Norton's Design of Machinery. He does not give much detail into the formulas and I am wondering if these will work for a rack and pinion. Norton called them "standard depth gear tooth deign" formulas. I assume they are true for any type of gear.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why are you cutting and pasting the response by rebellionofrebel? Serves no purpose and is a disservice to the person taking time to make a helpful reply.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Datawind CEO, Suneet Singh Tuli said that the tablet could become a little cheaper in the coming year and more features can be added to it every six months. "Processing...
Hi fredzzzz..... I am Pradeep chandra and i am a young music composer of our CE family My recent music album "MADHURIMA - ESSENCE OF MUSIC" is released So plzzzz...
After eight-and-a-half-months of hard work, the $2.5 billion Mars Rover took off from the Kennedy space center, nested inside an Atlas 5 rocket. It is supposed to cover a 352-million-mile...
Object Oriented Methodologies Question Bank Describe abstraction. What is the use of notations? What do you mean by Validation? What is the use of validation? What is reusable concept? What...
COBOL Programming Question Bank Explain the Figurative constant with examples. Explain the group and elementary group data items. Give some Examples Explain the COMPUTE and MOVE statement with example. Write...