Questions related to analog

1. define free electrons & valence electrons ( i waana details abt tat )
2. in p-n junction theory , holes are moving or not .. dis s my evergreen doubt so if anybody knows it, tell the answer

-crazyengineer(prakash)

Replies

• a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Hello Prakash,
    In PN junction theory the holes never move, only the electrons moves and only because of that current flows after the recombination of electrons and holes.
    And for your 1st question refer R.S.Sedha.
  • chetan mehra
    chetan mehra
    hi prakash,
    valence electrons are nothing but the electrons of the outer shell of any atom....when you give a sufficient amount of energy to the atom then the electrons of the last shell or valence electrons knock out from the atom leaving behind the ion having valency equal to the removed electrons,in electronics we refer such electrons "FREE ELECTRONS"..
    now your second question:
    in PN junction theory these free electrons plays a very important role,when an electron is ejected from an atom then a vacancy is created in the atom,this vacancy is generally called holes in electronics terms...now there are so many free electrons in a semiconductor material so they occupy this vacancy thus the creation of another hole in the material,,in this way a hole hypothetically moves in a semiconductor material....
    a hole is nothing but a vacancy left after an ejection of an electron...
    i hope this will help you
  • prakash6flower
    prakash6flower
    Thanks dude,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    it s right```````
  • prakash6flower
    prakash6flower
    With out moving holes how will creade the -ve immobile ion
  • prakash6flower
    prakash6flower
    k dude .. u said holes are not moved.. do u know abt the hole current .. how it happens?...
  • cranky
    cranky
    @prakash:as stated by chetan,holes are created as a result of vacancy.So in real,when electrons move from one vacancy to another,it looks like the holes are moving on the other side(like theory of relativity,you got to fix your reference ๐Ÿ˜› ).This is the hole current.It has same direction as conventional current(that is,opposite to flow of electrons) ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hope that helps,if not ping me
  • chetan mehra
    chetan mehra
    @prakash hope you will be satisfy by the answer of cranky,he appropriately answered your question,,
    if you have still any doubt,then imagine a row of eight seats in which eight students are seated,now suppose the student at the eighth position stands up and goes somewhere,leaving behind a vacant seat,now a student who was seated at the fourth position stands up and takes eigth position thus leaving behind a vacant seat..now visualise it, we had a vacant seat at the eigth position initially and after some timeit was at the fourth position an so on...
    same phenomenon happens with the electrons and holes...
    now consider students as electrons and vacant seats as holes,you will see that actually holes do not move,it is the electron which moves leaving behind a vacancy(holes),which hypothetically moves opposite to the direction of electron,(in real this is the direction of positive charge,thats why holes are consider as a positive charge).
    if you want to UNDERSTAND this problem clearly then please refer the book DONALD SCHILLING....
  • prakash6flower
    prakash6flower
    ok pa, i like it ,
    share some more thoughts 2 me
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    Holes never move! I mean, how can they? they are created when electrons move. We just "say" that holes move in a direction because we consider the conventional current to be opposite of the flow of electrons. Its always electrons that move in a current.
    Hole current is just a way to express the conventional current. And when an area gets depleted of electrons. ie when electrons move from one part to other, there is a deficiency of electrons at one side which has only holes remaining. SO we call it positively charged as the negative charge has reduced!
    PS: @ Prakash: Dude, please use proper English language (written). Don't use SMS language. It is one of the rules of the forum. And if there are any more doubts, they are welcome ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

my transcend 8gb pendrive when connected to the pc gets detected but does'nt get formatted and is not working. when i tried to format it it shows CAPACITY: 883gb (only...
ClubHACK magazine is the First Indian Hacking magazine. It focuses on hardcore hacking and security. What's imp is that it is e-magazine and free!! The latest issue covers following topics:-...
Whenever you go to market and ask for a part made of alloy (which of course cannot be made by melting and adding to each other) what does the shop-keeper...
Hello friend's, I have to create an e-post application using java.But i didn't have any idea about e-post. Anybody know what is e-post and how it works....? ๐Ÿ˜•
8.9 quake strikes Japan and triggers tsunami ๐Ÿ˜” I just saw on television that 8.9 quake has struck on the north east coast of Japan and has triggered Tsunami. The...