Questions on Transformer

my question is
1 , if we want to purchase a transformer which has 240v ac i/p and 18v dc o/p , then what we'll say to the shopkeeper,??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Split this thread into: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • chandujntueee
    chandujntueee
    i dont think a transformer output is d.c. for your requirements, you ask the shopkeeper, that you want a 18v dc adapter(converter)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you need a DC output , then you need to have a converter(rectifier).

You cannot get DC from transformer 😀
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Friend,

Just buy a 240-20 V transformer then use rectifier circuit to convert it into DC........

Its so simple But don't forget to use DC smoothening IC to get pure DC from pulsating DC and to reduce loading effect..............

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    nice answer vipul ..................
    rohit use rectifier with a filter u can get a almost pure d.c...........
  • tqchou
    tqchou
    You also need to say the Watt, say 6 watt , it depends on what you want to do. Better to have more wattage than less, otherwise the transformer will overheat. Then also say what the input output voltages are as you mention. Use 4 rectifiers like 1N4001 and connect ( see a basic book) to get a full wave rectified output. Use a capacitor to smooth and get dc
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Just go and say 240/20V electronic transformer(a usage popular between vendors for transformers used as a part of conversion from ac to dc and to harness power for electronics purposes). The vendor will give you the right thing.
  • DimpleSharma
    DimpleSharma
    you can not convert ac to dc with the help of transformer....only converter does this.....
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    DimpleSharma
    you can not convert ac to dc with the help of transformer....only converter does this.....
    kindly let me know what was the need of this post.
  • freak16
    freak16
    Transformer only changes the level of ac voltage, for converting ac into dc as is your case you need to have a power electronics device named ac to dc converter so go to shop and simply say you need a ac to dc converter with your specification..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

2. where do a CFL bulb and a tubelight differs? is it in architecture or working principal or something else?? thanks Posting On Behalf Of CEan: rohit bisht
Official News from Google Blog: Today is the first page in a new chapter of our mission to improve access to the cultural and educational treasures we know as books....
Marge is a robot developed by UK Scientists that can read and learn in the real world. Her creators namely Ingmar Posner and Paul Newman at the University of Oxford,...
Recently I watched a good documentary by the British Discovery Channel about the beginnings of computer games. It covers the early 70s with the rise of Atari right up to...
I had this idiot question somewhere in the back of my mind. I think those two are somewhat different words. The Urban Dictionary defines a Geek as: The people you...