Questions on Capacitor

Q1. How capaitor acts as a filter ?(reason behind its action)
Q2. Why capacitors with high capacitance are used at power rails and the one with low capacitance at power dips ?? ( i am asking how to decide which capacitor should be used where )
Q3. Why capacitor blocks dc current while allows ac current to pass? i know mathematically but want to know physically

Replies

• d_vipul
    d_vipul
    In first question you are asking about high pass filter and low pass filter????
  • aman_gupta_009
    aman_gupta_009
    filter to remove ripples
  • electronicsunzz
    electronicsunzz
    My answer to your 2nd question is as follows, we always use a high capacitance content capacitor to high power lines(A.C) and low capacitance capacitor to low electricity mostly on D.C because the power of the A.C lines is very HIGH, so a capacitor needs very high capacitance(i.e high storage of electricity) whereas in D.C situations, it is quite sufficient for a less capacitance of capacitor because the power that deals with D.C is very less(i.e 0.000001watts).
    you may doubt, asking yourself like what happens if we connect a low capacitance capacitor in high power line and a very high capacitance capacitor in D.C power. in that case
    1. when we connect a low capacitance capacitor in high power line, the capacitor blows of due to high power, so the dielectric connectivity opens the circuit and the capacitor is damaged.
    2.when we connect a very high capacitance capacitor in D.C power, that capacitor acts like a open circuit and the current doesn't pass from +ve to -ve. there doesn't exists any damage but the connectivity fails as capacitor acts like an open circuit.
  • sayandev
    sayandev
    For the 1st question- there are two types of filters high pass filter and low pass filter. from passive electronic realization
    we can say that in a low pass filter the capacitor acts as a open circuit for low frequency and the voltage appears across the load and in case of high frequency the capacitor reactance becomes small and acts a short circuit.
    For high pass, the capacitor is connected in series with a resistor,and for high frequencies the capacitor gets short circuited and voltage appears across resistance and for low frequencies the the capacitor acts as an open circuit.
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    for the 3rd question---
    the Capacitive Reactance is defined as the measure of Capacitor opposition to the Alternating Cuurent.It is measured in ohms but the frequency plays a major role.
    The Xc = 1/(2*3.14*f*C)
    Xc - Capacitive Reactance in Ohms
    f - Frequency in Hertz
    C - Capacitence in Farad
    For Steady DC the frequency is Zero.So Xc becomes infinity.
    Thats why the Capacitor blocks the DC.

And if we think more deeply i.e. physically the main construction itself justifies the cause.
  • sayandev
    sayandev
    I think Xc = 1/(j*w*C)
    Now you can say that since in dc frequency(w)=0 therefore Xc= infinite. thus it blocks dc.
  • gaurav200x
    gaurav200x
    A new Question on Capacitor

While discussing with someone, I got stumped while the latter asked me a question. A capacitor consists of 2 plates which're filled by a dielectric (mostly air). Hence, a circuit with an RC circuit consists of a resistor and 2 plates of capacitor separated by air between them, or in other words, it is an open circuit.

Hence, how does the current flow in this open circuit? 😕
  • nenuadwani
    nenuadwani
    Re: A new Question on Capacitor

the two plates actually gets charged due to the potential applied . thus an electric field is generated in that space and it can conduct.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Dileep joined CrazyEngineers on 6th August 2009. With over 500 posts, he’s one of the most active CEans on CrazyEngineers. A crazy electrical engineer, CEan Dileep has recently shown...
hi guys i am doing the experiment 'study of pll'-finding its lock range and capture range (free running frequency is 2.5khz) can anyone clearly explain me how to find fc1,fl2,fc2,fl1...
Iran's nuclear agency is trying to combat a complex computer worm that has affected industrial sites throughout the country and is capable of taking over power plants, Iranian media reports...
We are planning for a project, where we are combining the powers generated from solar panels and wind turbine and feeding it to the load through the grid. Power can...
Hello New CE Members, Answers to most of the basic questions can be found in text-books and on the Internet. We encourage you not to ask for ready-made programs/codes or...