Question about Carnot Cycle

how the work done in carnot cycle is low and mean effective pressure is also low while it is highest thermal efficiency cycle...?

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    actually the term highest thermal efficiency is only relative.

In this discussion we actually compare the thermal efficiencies of different engines under identical conditions of temperature difference etc. and infer from the mathematical formulations that Carnot engiine has got highest thermal efficiency(among all engines).

also remember the assumptions that we make during the mathematical analysis of a carnot engine. Those assumptions actually do not apply under practical engines. That is why carnot engine is also termed 'ideal'
  • mechky
    mechky
    nibhani
    how the work done in carnot cycle is low and mean effective pressure is also low while it is highest thermal efficiency cycle...?
    The efficiency of Carnot cycle is high due to the assumption - isentropic compression and expansion, because of which there are no losses occurring in the cycle. One of the factors determining efficiency is how heat is added to the working fluid in the cycle, and how it is removed. The Carnot cycle achieves maximum efficiency because all the heat is added to the working fluid at the maximum temperature , and removed at the minimum temperature . In contrast, in an internal combustion engine, the temperature of the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder is nowhere near its peak temperature as the fuel starts to burn, and only reaches the peak temperature as all the fuel is consumed, so the average temperature at which heat is added is lower, reducing efficiency.

The low work output is due to the very narrow strip we obtain in the p-v diagram.
    [​IMG]
    The net work output in area 12341 is small as compared to area 412BA4.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    i agree with mechky and proffy
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    its an excellent answer...
    mechky
    The efficiency of Carnot cycle is high due to the assumption - isentropic compression and expansion, because of which there are no losses occurring in the cycle. One of the factors determining efficiency is how heat is added to the working fluid in the cycle, and how it is removed. The Carnot cycle achieves maximum efficiency because all the heat is added to the working fluid at the maximum temperature , and removed at the minimum temperature . In contrast, in an internal combustion engine, the temperature of the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder is nowhere near its peak temperature as the fuel starts to burn, and only reaches the peak temperature as all the fuel is consumed, so the average temperature at which heat is added is lower, reducing efficiency.

The low work output is due to the very narrow strip we obtain in the p-v diagram.
    [​IMG]
    The net work output in area 12341 is small as compared to area 412BA4.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    nibhani
    its an excellent answer...
    thanks for answering.....
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    proffy
    actually the term highest thermal efficiency is only relative.

In this discussion we actually compare the thermal efficiencies of different engines under identical conditions of temperature difference etc. and infer from the mathematical formulations that Carnot engiine has got highest thermal efficiency(among all engines).

also remember the assumptions that we make during the mathematical analysis of a carnot engine. Those assumptions actually do not apply under practical engines. That is why carnot engine is also termed 'ideal'
    my question was that how the work done in carnot cycle is low while it is an highest efficiency cycle...
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    zaveri
    i agree with mechky and proffy
    i am also agree with both...
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    According to me The Carnot cycle when acting as a heat engine consists of the following steps:

1. Reversible Isothermal expansion of the gas at the "hot" temperature, TH (isothermal heat addition or absorption). During this step (1 to 2 on Figure 1, A to B in Figure 2) the expanding gas makes the piston work on the surroundings. The gas expansion is propelled by absorption of quantity Q1 of heat from the high temperature reservoir.
    2. Isentropic Process (Reversible Adiabatic Process) expansion of the gas (isentropic work output). For this step (2 to 3 on Figure 1, B to C in Figure 2) the piston and cylinder are assumed to be thermally insulated, thus they neither gain nor lose heat. The gas continues to expand, working on the surroundings. The gas expansion causes it to cool to the "cold" temperature, TC.
    3. Reversible isothermal compression of the gas at the "cold" temperature, TC. (isothermal heat rejection) (3 to 4 on Figure 1, C to D on Figure 2) Now the surroundings do work on the gas, causing quantity Q2 of heat to flow out of the gas to the low temperature reservoir.
    4. Isentropic compression of the gas (isentropic work input). (4 to 1 on Figure 1, D to A on Figure 2) Once again the piston and cylinder are assumed to be thermally insulated. During this step, the surroundings do work on the gas, compressing it and causing the temperature to rise to TH. At this point the gas is in the same state as at the start of step 1.
    5. your answer is related to the 4th point.
  • agafi04
    agafi04
    Does carnot cyce have mean effective pressure formula
  • VISHNUGOPAN
    VISHNUGOPAN
    nibhani
    Simply saying In a Carnot cycle, we consider all the processes as reversible. Reversible adiabatic and reversible isothermal processes. And from carnot's theorem we know that "All irreversible heat engines between two heat reservoirs are less efficient than a carnot engine (reversible engine) operating between the same reservoirs"........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Disney Research, an arm of the Walt Disney group has come up with Touché, an enhanced capacitive sensing technology with a staggering number of diverse applications. Dig in for more...
what is portforwarding? and how do you do it? I want to make a server for Counter Strike and when i asked the MTNL guys, they said i need to...
I am a person intrested in automobiles and want to change the automobile industry through stunning new technologies
Found following tech specs comparison chart that puts all the leading phones in the market side by side for specs comparison. Take a look at leave your comment below this...
University of Michigan has compiled an open source catalogue (currently more than 100 entries) of low cost medical devices. The Global Health Medical Device Compendium is hosted by wiki Appropedia....