Quality Of IIT Students Declining - Narayan Murthy - Agree Or Disagree?

Narayana Murthy, founder of Indian IT major Infosys said that the quality of students entering IIT is declining because of mushrooming coaching classes that prepare students for IIT exams. Murthy was speaking at PAN IIT gathering in New York. Murthy added, "They somehow get through the joint entrance examination. But their performance in IITs, at jobs or when they come for higher education in institutes in the US is not as good as it used to be." Read further coverage here: Poor quality of students entering IITs: Narayana Murthy | India News - Times of India

Do you agree with Mr. Murthy?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes and no. For the first thing my friend who has given IELTS and went to England asked me about my final year project. I explained him about my electric bicycle.
    The question he asked me was, "Is your bicycle made up of carbon fiber?" 😐

This is only yesterday's experience. Anyone can judge the level of education imparted in any BHARTIAN university and a foreign university. Look at the facilities.
    As a voice author I come across various university press releases like MIT where research is done and published almost everyday. Can't we do it? The same is not the case with IITs or IISc.

The question is not only of IITs but I am having a deep feeling that we have the power to raise up Universities like Nalanda and Taxashila. We should aim high and bring back Gurukul education system which will focus on research and development.

The University should also focus on giving moral education which is limited today only to one class every week that too in primary schooling. The class is not even engaged. Isn't this situation appalling?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    Look at the facilities. As a voice author I come across various university press releases like MIT where research is done and published almost everyday. Can't we do it? The same is not the case with IITs or IISc.
    MIT as an institution may have frequent output. However, the people involved are different. In India unfortunately an institution is started by a visionary, who is a decicated worker. Usually in the forties. He gets together a band of likeminded souls, who all pull together. A lot of work gets done. After twenty to twenty five years this band of people with vision are all retired and gone. The new lot are usually career workers. Gradually or rapidly the institute gets calcified and becomes one more mausoleum of science.

There is no system to ensure continuing excellence.
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Might be the affect of reservation quota. 😁
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    MIT as an institution may have frequent output. However, the people involved are different. In India unfortunately an institution is started by a visionary, who is a decicated worker. Usually in the forties. He gets together a band of likeminded souls, who all pull together. A lot of work gets done. After twenty to twenty five years this band of people with vision are all retired and gone. The new lot are usually career workers. Gradually or rapidly the institute gets calcified and becomes one more mausoleum of science.

There is no system to ensure continuing excellence.
    There is actually a solution for this problem. A visionary who starts it should make it a point that the 'profit' of that institution is based on what it does.

For example whoever made BCCI (a cricket association) might had a vision that it should be Indian team No. 1, so he coupled BBCI with with wealth. Today even if a professional who joins BCCI works for getting profit for that organization, he strives to make Team India no. 1.

So if that visionary can couple money with the objective so that it does not hamper the basic objective of that educational institution, the educational institution can be success.

In another instance (an educational one), I have heard that all IITs are setting up a common web portal for research. In other words they are combining money with research so that any person/ student can get all information from one IIT even if he studies in any other IIT.

The concept is difficult but can be applied with a high degree of success.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

12 123 1234 12345 23 234 2345 34 345 3456 45 456 56 Please help me thanks a lot
f u are thinking of buying tikona broadband never buy it !! i am using tikona broadband for last 2 month to get high speed but i did not get...
Attending Oracle OpenWorld is the most cost-effective and efficient way to stay ahead of the technology curve—and this year's event incorporates the popular Oracle Develop event as an official Oracle...
Yesterday i get chance to meet Cean-Patty for 10-15 Minutes and today I Spent a Super Day with Mayur Pathak. It was amazing !!
I know a lot of juniors must be worried/curious about which Engineering branches to chose which is most suitable for their career? Psychometric tests are a popular option for that...