Puzzle

I am about to throw a big party, and I bought 243 bottles of wine. 48 hours before the party begins, I receive a letter saying that one of those bottles has been poisoned. You have 5 rats, who are trained to drink wine and can only die of the poison (and not of excessive alcohol usage). When a rat is fed poisoned wine, it takes at most 24 hours for it to die. You cannot be sure whether it's drunk poison or not before the 24 hours have passed. How can you identify the poisoned bottle in 48 hours? (assume that the rat is allowed to taste a vine at an interval of 10 minutes)

Replies

• Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    Please arrange two more rats from some where........, urgent we don't have time to think!!! 😡
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    243 bottles, one rat gets 48 each, three rats get one bottle extra each(243=240+3). Let each rat sip one bottle every 10 mins, and label each bottle with the time in which it was given to the rat to sip. After all the rats sip, a total of 8 hours and 10 mins are spent on drinking. Now, observe the rats for the next 24 hours. If any one of them dies, note down its time of death, and subtract it with 24 hours. Now, look for the bottle which has the same time mentioned, it is poisonous. So, you take 24+8=32 hours and 10 mins.
    This is a crazy answer, i doubt if it is right.
  • Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    I believe the rat will die within 24 hrs, not after exactly 24 hours....
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    yanivx
    You cannot be sure whether it's drunk poison or not before the 24 hours have passed.
    Dear faroke,
    Kindly let me know what this means.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Summer Season is on in India! Water is essential part of our life, it is duty of each one of us to contribute towards water management. [video=youtube;UL9ltMfAJJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL9ltMfAJJU[/video] How To Save...
I want to pursue Graduation in Computer Science and Engineering. pls tell me the career options and job opportunities ?
Hi frndz.....I would like to where to get GRE material and support...I am a freshman from Coimbatore.....Please mention websites or institutes...
Written and directed by Rajneel Singh from New Zealand. Blank Spaces was a finalist in the Your Big Break competition a global search for the next great filmmaker. Their task...
This is with refrence to the MAYAN calendar which predicts doomsday in 2012 . i think it may be true if anything like, a world war happens at this moment...