Puzzle Time

There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building.
Every day he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The place should be a highly flooding area..
    When it rains, the floor at the half part of the building becomes the ground floor because of the water. So, the elevator, which can, may be, travel only half way, can take him to the top floor.
    I am a CRAZY ENGINEER😁

😁

This is the best way I can answer this one! I am puzzled by your puzzle. I am looking the question through other angles though:shifty:
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    aj_onduty
    The place should be a highly flooding area..
    When it rains, the floor at the half part of the building becomes the ground floor because of the water. So, the elevator, which can, may be, travel only half way, can take him to the top floor.
    I am a CRAZY ENGINEER😁

😁

This is the best way I can answer this one! I am puzzled by your puzzle. I am looking the question through other angles though:shifty:
    Haha .. No its not like that. How can elevator works if water fills the building..
    Try try πŸ˜‰
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Frooty
    How can elevator works if water fills the building..
    Ummmm... The building is water proof! 😁

Hey, just joking!
    Taking it seriously. But can you give some clue, does it have to do something with engineering?
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Haahah. No way . I cannot give any clue just is that answer is very much relative to some words in questions. This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking puzzles. It is a true classic.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The man must be a dwarf or a man with a very less height.
    He cannot reach the upper level buttons in the lift. What say?
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    AbraKaDabra
    The man must be a dwarf or a man with a very less height.
    He cannot reach the upper level buttons in the lift. What say?
    Thats Correct,

The man is very, very short and can only reach halfway up the elevator buttons. However, if it is raining then he will have his umbrella with him and can press the higher buttons with it.😁
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Ah! I can't stop banging my head on my desk! Why didn't think that way?
    Thanks for that brain racking. I like it. Looking forward to see more questions here.

One question- Why doesn't this guy just carry that umbrella with him always? IF he would have done that, no one would have made this question in the first place!!!
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    here goes simple one -

A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, lumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

Very simple guys, answer fast πŸ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    The driver sees the man with the help of moon's light??
  • Reya
    Reya
    He is walking down a black street(name of the street).Its day time..
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    It's day time. So, the man is visible to the driver of the car. So, the car stops in time.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Time for an elevator with voice control!!

Tell floor number , sensor should record it!! It has its own disadvantages though!!

Or something like a cell phone signal call the floor number thats at πŸ˜€

or some thing like laser beam on the button?

Enough of crazy ideas , back to work!
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    praveena211
    He is walking down a black street(name of the street).Its day time..

You are right .. It is day time
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    English-Scared
    Time for an elevator with voice control!!

Tell floor number , sensor should record it!! It has its own disadvantages though!!

Or something like a cell phone signal call the floor number thats at πŸ˜€

or some thing like laser beam on the button?

Enough of crazy ideas , back to work!
    It would be better to keep a chair in the lift so that he can stand on it!
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    One more -

A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out.

(This puzzle claims to be the best of the genre. It is simple in its statement, absolutely baffling and yet with a completely satisfying solution. Most people struggle very hard to solve this one yet they like the answer when they hear it or have the satisfaction of figuring it out. )
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    I think no one is attempting this πŸ˜”
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Frankly, this one's too tough to me. Why did he go to a bar just to have a glass of water!!!
    Thats not the point I am pondering right now! But still, I AM baffled...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sorry for breaking my silence this late. I have read this question in some book and the answer is:
    The man had hiccups.
    The barman recognized this from his speech and drew the gun in order to give him a shock.
    It worked and cured the hiccups. So the man no longer needed the water.
  • Reya
    Reya
    @AKD You are right..i was breaking my head to find the answerπŸ˜€
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @praveena, My head is bleeding!!!
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    AbraKaDabra
    Sorry for breaking my silence this late. I have read this question in some book and the answer is:
    The man had hiccups.
    The barman recognized this from his speech and drew the gun in order to give him a shock.
    It worked and cured the hiccups. So the man no longer needed the water.
    Exactly the same πŸ˜›
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Now on similar track one more -

A man went to a part y and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?
  • Reya
    Reya
    The poison in the punch came from ice cubes.When the man drank the punch for the first time the ice was fully frozen.Gradually it melted poisoning the punch.so everybody who drunk the punch died because of poison.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    nice 1..........................
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Frooty
    Now on similar track one more -

A man went to a part y and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?
    Any one living in Mumbai can answer that.
    The man came early and what he got was the punch from the old stock. He drank up all the old stock, as there was only a small amount left. After that, the new stock was opened. And the new stock was poisoned. So, the others were killed by the poison and the man was lucky enough to enjoy the punch!
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    nice puzzles dear......................do put some more puzzles...................
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    All above answers are right πŸ˜€
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    All the above answers???
    Frooty, With due respect, Kindly explain, because what I think that the answer said by Praveena doesn't give a logical answer. The ice, if it melts, is not ice anymore, it becomes water. No matter how 'frozen' ice is, when it gets in the punch, and when it tries to cool the punch, the ice melts because it absorbs the heat from the punch. So, kindly let me know why you said the above statement. Please justify your answer.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    aj_onduty
    All the above answers???
    Frooty, With due respect, Kindly explain, because what I think that the answer said by Praveena doesn't give a logical answer. The ice, if it melts, is not ice anymore, it becomes water. No matter how 'frozen' ice is, when it gets in the punch, and when it tries to cool the punch, the ice melts because it absorbs the heat from the punch. So, kindly let me know why you said the above statement. Please justify your answer.
    The ice was fully frozen when he drank the punch at first , Gradually it started melting (it doesnt mean it becomes water ) and thats why poisoning the punch slowly.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    aj_onduty
    All the above answers???
    I had not seen your answer and there were lot of replies after the puzzle .. and i am having problem with my browser and always getting disconnected.. thats why couldnt see your post. I had checked praveena's answer and that was right thats why said above answer is right..
  • Sreelatha
    Sreelatha
    I think not with the help of moon's light,but with the help of sun's light.
    It might be day time.
  • Sreelatha
    Sreelatha
    I think not with the help of moon's light,but with the help of sun's light.
    It might be day time. ​
  • Priyalak
    Priyalak
    The driver saw him because it was during the day time they were travelling. So the driver could see him due to sunlight

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how is poynting theorem applicable to both transmitter & receiver ?
the speed of light is 3*10^8 . some body can give its mathematical proofe that c= 3*10^8... or plz suggest any book or any web link ... thanx
While studying Gunn Diode in Microwave Technology, I came across the term 'effective mass of an electron' and not able to recall what it is. Can anyone kindly explain what...
I have mentained one folder in my PST named " Happy mails" .Whenever I am nervous, silent,tensed,bored or hurt by anything,I used open this folder which contains really good mails...
what are the suggestion to improve the effectiveness of the blind stick? i want to add infrared distance sensor,,,another suggestion?