Puzzle Master - Puzzle for the Day - Tricky Number Puzzle

A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened.

A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "twelve." The member replied, "seven " and was let in.

A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "six." The member replied, "Four" and was let in.

The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said ,"ten" and the man replied, "eight."
But he was not let in. What should have he said?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    He should have said six, as the required number is one more than half the original number.

ie., one more than half of twelve is seven, and one more than half of six is four.
    So, one more than half of ten is six.

But the problem is, wat will happen if the doorman says an odd number..
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    Frooty
    A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened.

A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "twelve." The member replied, "seven " and was let in.

A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "six." The member replied, "Four" and was let in.

The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said ,"ten" and the man replied, "eight."
    But he was not let in. What should have he said?
    he should have said 4? i think it is the number of digits+1. am i right?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I also think the answer should be 4. CP's logic is correct.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    I also think the answer should be 4. CP's logic is correct.
    This is the problem with puzzles. Both could be correct. If the watchman was instructed to challenge with even numbers only SS would be right. CP would be right without such restriction. Insufficient data to decide conclusively.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Yes, answer is 4.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, Can anybody list out some good search engines other than google for searching data and information over internet?
Hello , This post will contain all the puzzles from Infosys recruitment process. I will post 1 puzzle each day and solution at the end of the day.. Please try...
POLARIS PAPER : The selection Process will be in this way 1. Written test 2. Group discussion (there would be group discussion it depends up on the croud) 3. Technical...
Selection Procedure was * Written test. * Technical interview 1 * Technical interview 2 * Programming * HR interview Written Test:: C C++ SQL Regular Expression Unix commands Data structures(trees,graphs)...
I got the piece of information on Microsoft recruitment process. Please have look on it : The following are actual questions from actual interviews conducted by Microsoft employees on the...