Puzzle Master - Next Puzzle - Tea or Coffee after Dinner?

X,Y and Z often eat dinner out.

1. Each orders either coffee or tea after dinner.
2. If X orders coffee, then Y orders the drink that Z orders.
3. If Y orders coffee, the X orders the drink that Z doesn't order.
4. If Z orders tea, then X orders the drink that Y orders.

Who do you know always orders the same drink after dinner?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think its X.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Statements 2, 3 and 4 cannot be simultaneously true because they are mutually exclusive logically. The puzzle makes sense only if 2, 3 or 4 are considered individually. That is, the result depends on who orders first.

X orders coffee first, subsequently both Z and Y order either coffee or tea depending on Z's choice. If X orders tea first, then Y and Z may order either.
    This means we have X-coffee or tea, Y- tea or coffee and Z tea or coffee.
    tea. Z now orders coffee or tea while X orders Tea or coffee Y orders coffee first. If Z now orders coffee then X orders tea, else Z orders tea and X orders coffee. Y orders c
    We have Y-coffee or tea, Z- coffee or tea and X-tea or coffee.

Z orders tea first, then Y orders tea or coffee and X orders tea or coffee. If Z orders coffee first then Y orders tea or coffee and X orders tea or coffee.
    We have Z - coffee or tea, Y-coffee or tea and X -coffee or tea.

This means that they all may order tea or coffee. No one has only the same drink.

There seems to be no unique solution.
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    There are 6 cases.

X Y Z
    I coffee coffee coffee
    II coffee tea tea
    III tea coffee coffee
    IV tea tea tea
    V tea coffee tea
    VI tea tea coffee

Then, from 3rd Point, Cases I and V are eliminated and, from 4th Point, Cases II and V are eliminated.

So X always orders the same drink (tea) after dinner.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    born_star16
    There are 6 cases.

X Y Z
    I coffee coffee coffee
    II coffee tea tea
    III tea coffee coffee
    IV tea tea tea
    V tea coffee tea
    VI tea tea coffee

Then, from 3rd Point, Cases I and V are eliminated and, from 4th Point, Cases II and V are eliminated.

So X always orders the same drink (tea) after dinner.
    Yes the logic and answer is correct.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is electromagnetism Engineering electromagnetics is a difficult subject for an Electronics / Electrical / telecommunication engineering students and physics postgraduates, the students find it hard to pass the electromagnetic...
why different types of poles in transmission lines are used?? poles of 11 kv before stepdown transformer goes in triangular shape but 440 v lines after step down transformer goes...
Indian minister of communications, Mr. Kapil Sibal has released the draft of the National Telecom Policy 2011. The final version of the policy will be publicly launched in December this...
guys tell how we can reduce friction loss

hi

hi frds, its vijai.i wnt 2 share ideas....