Pulverisation of coal in Thermal Power Plant

Maximum level of pulverization in popular Bowl & Roller coal mills(XRP-880,XRP-630) is 70 mesh size. This invariably results in unburnt in slag ash & sometimes in fly ash also which is efficiency loss. Why coal is not pulverized in fine powder form to avoid loss due to unburnt ?

Replies

• TinaT
    TinaT
    There is a trade off in the auxiliary power required to pulverize the coal.

Coal which is crushed finer will, in most cases, burn better (depending on the boiler design) - but if you put 10 MW of power into crushing the coal to get 8 MW of additional power from the generator... your net gain was -2MW (i.e. it was a LOSS).
  • akpower
    akpower
    Thanks Tina .It is an accepted fact that auxiliary consumption in a power plant is 10% or less having turbo feed pumps.In no case the power required for pulverization will be more than output of generator. Loss due to unburnt will be much more than additional power for pulverization. However I have not seen designers going in for fine coal pulverization. Only designers can explain .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    akpower
    Thanks Tina .It is an accepted fact that auxiliary consumption in a power plant is 10% or less having turbo feed pumps.In no case the power required for pulverization will be more than output of generator. Loss due to unburnt will be much more than additional power for pulverization. However I have not seen designers going in for fine coal pulverization. Only designers can explain .
    Please have a look at this PPT from IIT Delhi: (You have to paste the id)

web.iitd.ac.in/~pmvs/jgl710/jgl710-23.ppt

This is another:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Devil26
    Devil26
    perhaps handling finer coal becomes difficult!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm inviting all CEans to share photos, videos, articles about your own robotic creations. Your robot could be a very simple one or the TERMINATOR - we're looking for all,...
Purdue University is carrying out tests to check the effect of fire on steel structures used in Nuclear Plant constructions. I think this is a good topic of discussion for...
What do our engineers think about the best android tablet available at a price less than Rs. 20000 in India? Reliance, Airtel and other companies have launched their tablets in...
Samsung launched Wave 3 phone at IFA 2011, Berlin. The latest phone in the wave series rocks Bada 2.0 operating system, but the hardware isn't very impressive. The 4" SAMOLED...
Which company has the robot hand of visual control?😛😛