Project on self balancing bicycle.

Im doing my final year Mechanical engineering.I have planned to do a project on self balancing bicycle.Can you share your ideas for its fabrication much better.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kayas
    Im doing my final year Mechanical engineering.I have planned to do a project on self balancing bicycle.Can you share your ideas for its fabrication much better.
    Sure. A good start would be to tell us in detail about the way you want to do this project so that we can make suggestions. Please be as descriptive as possible so that we can understand your ideas and help make them better.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    As we know faster vehicles are much stable than slower one, this is because it has stability due to its gyroeffect of speed wheels.hence we planned to do it even at slow wheels.We planned to have high speed co-axil spinning disc respect to hub,but rotataes indipendently with respect to wheel speed.It gives same effect as speed wheels at lower vehicle speed.
    This was our idea.
    Please do suggest us the best way to rotate the disc efffectively either through electrically or mechanically.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Let me get this straight:

You want to have gyros rotating at high speeds, installed on a bicycle which is moving at a slow speed, to provide stability to the bicycle at slower speeds. How do you plan to provide the necessary power to get the gyro in motion? Of course not by pedaling - since if you were pedaling fast enough to get the gyros rotating at a high speed, you might wonder why you are spending so much energy just so you could stably ride the bicycle slower. So you might want to provide auxiliary power to get the gyros moving, in which case this becomes something of a partial electric vehicle.

I want to understand what is your ultimate goal. Also, I would not claim that faster vehicles are more stable than slower ones.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    I was planning through pedal only. Fabrication was planned to have a weight disc at the center of frame and a chain drive connected to it with the rear wheel adjacent to free wheel. There smaller sprocket will be connected to disc and bigger one at rear wheel, thus disc rotates faster than anything in cycle.When we are not pedalling due to free wheel assembly in disc it rotates due to inertial motion for some time,thus providing gyro effect to cycle.#shashank Moghe.
    this was done without auxiliary power.This was my current plan,will it work or should i switch over.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Actually i was planning through peddal only.my idea was planned to have a weight disc which acts as gyro at the centre of frame.through chain drive connecting it to adjacent side of free wheel assembly at rear.There smaller free wheel will be attached at disc while bigger at rear wheel.This paves to rotate disc faster than anything in cycle providing required gyro effect.when we stop pedal due to inertial effect it rotates freely due to free wheel assembly and provides gyro effect required.
    This was my idea and doesnt required any auxiliary power.
    Will it work or should i switch over.
    kindly guide me.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    When you are not pedaling, the gyro will eat away your bicycle's inertia, thus making it slower at a faster rate than normal. Is this something that is desired? Also, are you saying that the gyro wont be rotating (through the chain-connection with the rear wheel) when you are pedaling? Is there a clutch mechanism to attach/detach the gyro?
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    It will rotate while pedaling even when not pedaling due to inertia.no clutch mechanism.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    It will rotate while pedaling even when not pedaling due to inertia.no clutch mechanism.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I know it will rotate in both cases, I am asking if it is still connected to the rear wheel when you are not pedaling, since it will eat away your momentum and lower your speeds faster.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    That wasnt matter now.Do you have any other idea to work it.?
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    That is not how this works. You come up with ideas, it is your project. We can only evaluate the pros and cons of that idea with the hope that it might help you in some fashion. But you have to do all the hard work.
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    another idea,planned to have gyro at front wheel connected to motor about 200-300RPM powered by battery.
    Motor will be placed at mudguard case.connecting disc and motor by chain/belt.?
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    First things first, have you even evaluated the dynamics of the whole bicycle-gyro assembly? Will it be stable, what would be the perfect position so as to expend the least power to get the gyro rotating, what speed does it needs to rotate at, is it even feasible (assembly wise), ergonomics, cost, etc.?
  • Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Kalaiyarasan Rajendran
    Okay.!! I'l check for it.
    If you have any idea please notify me.Because i have just planned on it.If you convey your ideas it will be pleasure to improve its function.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Unmanned aerial vehicle UAVs have gained much popularity in several military and civilian applications performing environmental monitoring agriculture and surveying applications have very specific constraints...
Project Abstract / Summary : An air handler or air handling unit (AHU), is a device used to regulate and circulate air as part of a heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning...
Project Abstract / Summary : This project is mainly based on the online booking system of cab.This project consists of all functionality of cab booking starting from booking to online...
Project Abstract / Summary : " License Access Vehicle " Rahul Shivakumar Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Technology Omr rajiv gandhi salai paiyanoor, Chennai-603104 Abstract: My project is about license access...
Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT​For the past several decades, designers have processed speech for a wide variety of applications ranging from mobile communications to automatic reading machines. Speech recognition...