Producing high current from batteries

hi 2 all! i still am an undergrad and im working now on my project. im having difficulty on producing high current from mere batteries.

for example...

i want to produce current by about 2 to 3 amps form a 7.2v 2800mAH battery.

i dont know where to find simple circuit just to produce that amount of current. im talking about simplicity because i want it to be as light as possible.
i would be so thankful if someone can help me regarding this matter!!!...

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    The reasoning is flawed. What do you need the current for? What circuit is it being used in? Because you can produce an Amp or 2 by just shorting the battery leads, but that may explode your battery!

Give some more info.
  • nashspecs
    nashspecs
    ah yes im sorry... i would be using that as a supply for my high speed high torque motor.. so u do know how to play with batteries? im so thankful if you can help me regarding this matter... how can i produce that amount of current and at the same time not explode my batteries???
  • prestonee
    prestonee
    Just wanted to point out you said the battery is 7.2V with a rating of 2800mAH. 2800mAH means 2.8 = current * time, so according to the battery spec when fully charged it could provide 2.8 amps for 1 hour. You can use that equation to determine the max current it can support for the time period your application requires.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    prestonee
    Just wanted to point out you said the battery is 7.2V with a rating of 2800mAH. 2800mAH means 2.8 = current * time, so according to the battery spec when fully charged it could provide 2.8 amps for 1 hour. You can use that equation to determine the max current it can support for the time period your application requires.
    Perhaps, but you are still limited to the maximum current drain! This can be 50mA, 120mA, etc. For pulses, this may be up to 400mA. Drawing current more than the limit will affect battery performance and may cause some issues.

nash, check the battery datasheet for that specification.

1) Can you tell us the make and model of the battery?

My friend told me about amplifing the current at the expense of voltage. Perhaps this is the circuit you need.

2)Is there a minimum voltage you need to operate the motor?
    3)What kind of high torque motor is it? DC? Servo?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hello,well you can do one more thing,you can use a simple op-amp to amplify the current or else,is it possible to make the circuit a little bulky,u can use a transformer instead
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Hi Saurav,

I would disagree to your suggestions - using an opamp would need additional supply which I think our friend doesn't have. Also using a transformer though would increase the current would reduce the voltage also. Nashspecs needs to decide whats the minimum voltage he requires.

Nevertheless, you sure need to check your battery specs. I am pretty confident that getting 2-3A pulses would reduce the battery voltage during the high current pulse.

-Karthik
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Try getting hold of Lithium-Polymer battery packs. They pack a big punch in terms of amperage. Say.. 6A at least? 😀

You can check here for cost effective ones (starting from $15):
    #-Link-Snipped-#.

I'm pretty sure you can find these stuff at nearby RC hobby stores or electronic component shops. They'll be much cheaper than ordering online from overseas.
  • nashspecs
    nashspecs
    thanks for ur replies.. reachrkata is right, i would not provide another supply for the op amp.. what i only have is the battery with a 7.2v 2800 maH rating.. wat i have is a dc motor and not a servo one.. do you know how to raise the current without the expense of voltage? because the operating voltage of my dc motor is at 7.2v.. and i would be needing it to retain the speed of my motor.. high current is what i need for the torque..

thanks to all.. reply again please??? ^^
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    nash, do you have specifications for your battery? Can you tell us more about it? Like, if its Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium Polymer, etc.

The specification of interest would be the Max Continuous Current, or something similar.
  • barryn56
    barryn56
    If you only need a high current for a short period (e.g. motor start current) you can use a super capacitor charging/discharging circuit. Nickel Metal Hydride batteries can supply very high currents.
  • ajmer
    ajmer
    hi crazy folks!!
    i 2 want to make the same project.. could u plz mail me its details and specifications.

plz reply soon..
  • samboy2005
    samboy2005
    if its simply 2800mah NiMh battries , probably you may use a current boosting regulator ic in the circuit , wont cost much , check specsheets first , goto websites of some manufaturer's like national semiconductors or ST mico
    you may get regulated currents in access of 8A!!
  • barkhaniya
    barkhaniya
    hi my question is that it is possible to make multipurpose rotor it means the rotot used all type of machine

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i wil gve my suggestion on this topic later.....i want u all guys to gve suggestion first.....
Hiii all, In simulink, how do we find out which block diagram is created by the author and which block diagram is from the original simulink itself from a given...
The bonnet for the tractors can be of square nose and stub nose. During the time of manufacturing,the square nose bonnets are arranged in a stand,whereas the stub nose bonnets...
hi Ceans...i need your thoughts and suggestions regardin my project. my overall budget is 15,000 and i need an idea of a working model! Help me out..need suggestions.
hi friends... im doing B.Tech CSE 3rd year. i have to do a mini project for this 5th semester. i already have an idea. i given it below. SPECIFICATION TRACKING...