Produce electricity in water?

Hello all, I am ojai, an electronics and electrical engineer from Meerut. I wanted to discuss about - How can i produce electricity in water? Is it possible? Please share your views.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Unless you are more specific nobody can comment meaningfully.
    1. If you have lot of water at a height you can use it for hydroelectric generation.
    2. You can set up a Leclanche cell: Leclanch%C3%A9 Cell
    3. You can electrolyse water to produce Hydrogen and Oxygen for later use in a fuel cell.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The title of this thread is quite interesting. Actually, it got me thinking whether we can really produce 'electricity inside water'. Is it even possible to produce electricity inside water as a medium? 馃槙
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    The_Big_K
    The title of this thread is quite interesting. Actually, it got me thinking whether we can really produce 'electricity inside water'. Is it even possible to produce electricity inside water as a medium? 馃槙
    I am not sure but i think it's possible. What if we place "windmill" like turbines underwater? Won't it produce electricity? Any suggestions?
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    electrolysis is one of the commonly used to generation of electricity and also we can observe in general nickel cadmium or lead acid batteries,they may use distilled water to conduct and produce some voltage.water can be used as medium of electricity either phase or neutral not both at a time.example while we performing an experiment on water level control and monitor,reference voltage as to detect by a controller on that time conduction of water is considered.
    flowing water can made to generate the electricity by using a wind mill motor to get the pressure of water to rotate and we can get generation of power using this concept.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    We cannot use water as a medui inside as it will electrocute life under water, yes, its quit possible to odify the turbine such that it will be driven through water current inside, but it wont work when water is stationery
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Tidal generators are totally immersed. They are reversible and generate both as the tide comes in and goes out.

Tidal Power 路 I'm interested in 路 Sustainable Development Commission
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ojai21
    how can i produes electricity in water
    You mean - in water or from water or something else? One lined questions don't help. Please elaborate the question.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    there is one way that is now used in fuel cells

here water is used that is all i can say

#-Link-Snipped-#: there is a problem more energy is used for rotating the blade under the water than in the air so rather generating there is more loss in it

but i don't think that the blades we use can withstand the water currents at pressures above a ton
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    bioramani
    Tidal generators are totally immersed. They are reversible and generate both as the tide comes in and goes out.

Tidal Power 路 I'm interested in 路 Sustainable Development Commission
    Sir,Is there any way to completely rotate the blades? The tidal generator rotation seems more logical but is it possible to make it rotate completely?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    vinod1993
    Sir,Is there any way to completely rotate the blades? The tidal generator rotation seems more logical but is it possible to make it rotate completely?
    There appears to be some miscommunication. Underwater turbines generate much more power than wind mills size for size. This is because for the same velocity the kinetic energy of water is almost three orders of magnitude higher. The animation in the video is only indicative. The actual rotation speeds are much more.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

However, there are other issues about tidal power. Here is a different view:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Tidal generators depend upon the flow of tide , if the tide rotates it 360deg it will rotate accordingly,fuel cells are still in early stages of development and i doubt fuel cells can generate MW power.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Sir, the link is very informative, problem mentioned is common to all new technologies introduced,cost can be reduced but major point to figure out is selection of the location, since yeild is very poor or ways to increase the yield say by using trafos or inverters.

bioramani
    There appears to be some miscommunication. Underwater turbines generate much more power than wind mills size for size. This is because for the same velocity the kinetic energy of water is almost three orders of magnitude higher. The animation in the video is only indicative. The actual rotation speeds are much more.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

However, there are other issues about tidal power. Here is a different view:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a final year instrumentation and control engineering student i cant able to get any idea for my project so please help me friends to give a good idea...
The other day one of my friend told me an interesting(rather queer) fact that scientists believe that by 2030's the rice and wheat will be completely replaced by genetically grown...
Can any one suggest me good software for design. I'd prefer a freeware over a commercial software any day.
Hai CEans please suggest me a circuit using 9v without multivibrators.it may consists of transistor,digital components etc...
Hello It's Puneet from Punjaba. I am dedicating this thread for Mechanical engineering students - Please share Pro/e Tutorials In this thread.