processes vs programs

hey,

what is the difference between a program and a process running on a given operating system?

regards,
proffy

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# It is quite simple actually.

A program is a set of instructions that perform a designated task, where as the process does what is called ‘execution of instructions’.
    A process executes the program's modules concurrently. They are separate loadable modules.

Where as the program perform the tasks directly relating to an operation of a user like word processing, executing presentation software etc.
  • nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    Program is set of instructions,Process is program under execution
    Program is stored in Secondary Memory whereas Process stored in Main Memory
    Process is Active program is passive

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, it is impossible to check absolute memory address at compile time to assure protection in terms of memory management. What does absolute memory address actually mean? can a memory...
Hello friends, I would like to inquire if defragmentation process results in extra disk free space or in reduced disk free space. I mean does defragmentation process creates some free...
Hi everyone ,i am new to this community... I just entered the final year of my B.E.CSE career... As there is discussion going on in my college ,abt the TCS...
How is the structural design of a residential building of 7 floors done right from the beginning with examples. If you have all the necessary data, then please mail me...
How is a retaining wall (earth retaining wall) designed? Kindly mail me a step by step detailed explanation. regards, gopal