Problems Associated With Very Large Databases

I'm looking for few inputs on typical problems associated with very large database systems. My knowledge of databases is very limited and that makes me feel that as the database systems grow from 1000s of records to millions and billions of records, there must be few common problems associated with maintaining and operating these databases.

Is that true? If yes, what are those problems?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Problems in the sense, it depends on the server and hardware in which it is running. Database generally is encountered with indexing problem and accessing problem. It is also directly proportional to the performance of the hardware. No way redundancy or ambiguity occurs in any point of database. Due to heavy traffic and large number of connections, the DB Server may go down at the worst case. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well hardware troubles will always be there. Maybe we should only talk about the problems that arise only because of the size of the databases.
    Only performance issue and indexing issue will be occurring... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Hey biggie,

Yeah since we are dealing with Very large databases (VLDB) for sure the maintenance really matters and is not maintained properly it can lead to less performance and yeah as praveen said indexing is the solution but make sure that you index the tables which are not updated on regular basics because when using index the select statement will work fine but the update and insert will be really slow!! ๐Ÿ˜” and to achieve performance we can go for partitioning the table which is the most effective way to solve the performance issue as it creates a logical split of the table and not a physical split but when you do so it will reduce the number of input and output device as well as the scan device used by the query ๐Ÿ˜‰ which lead to performance ๐Ÿ˜

And yeah if you need to know how to partition a table in mysql (I have done partition in SYBASE only ๐Ÿ˜” ) follow this link buddy: #-Link-Snipped-#

Hope it helps!!

-Arvind
    slashfear
    Hey biggie,

Yeah since we are dealing with Very large databases (VLDB) for sure the maintenance really matters and is not maintained properly it can lead to less performance and yeah as praveen said indexing is the solution but make sure that you index the tables which are not updated on regular basics because when using index the select statement will work fine but the update and insert will be really slow!! ๐Ÿ˜” and to achieve performance we can go for partitioning the table which is the most effective way to solve the performance issue as it creates a logical split of the table and physical split but when you do so it will reduce the number of input and output device as well as the scan device ๐Ÿ˜‰

And yeah if you need to know how to partition a table in mysql (I have done partition in SYBASE only ๐Ÿ˜” ) follow this link buddy: #-Link-Snipped-#

Hope it helps!!

-Arvind
    MySQL partitioning in Portable Server is a mess. I tried once and ended up crashing the server files. All my frm files became corrupted. ๐Ÿ˜”But in the normal installation, the performance boosted upto 12% - 15%! ๐Ÿ˜€ Arvind, any idea to partition in Portable Servers?
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    praveenscience
    MySQL partitioning in Portable Server is a mess. I tried once and ended up crashing the server files. All my frm files became corrupted. ๐Ÿ˜”But in the normal installation, the performance boosted upto 12% - 15%! ๐Ÿ˜€ Arvind, any idea to partition in Portable Servers?
    Sorry dude I dont have any idea about portable server ๐Ÿ˜”

-Arvind

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pro and con dont just mean "for" and "against". That would be too easy. As prefixes, pro sometimes means "before" and con often means "with". Here are some pros and...
Many web developers are unaware of how SQL queries can be tampered with, and assume that an SQL query is a trusted command. It means that SQL queries are able...
There are moments when I really hate technology and wish if we had never invented computers, mobile phones, tablets, Internet, television and so on. Technology advancements have turned me into...
The Japanese Skelectonics have developed this exoskeleton that doesn't use motors or hydraulics as you'd expect. Yet, it's capable of doing lot of things as you'll see in following video....
Google Maps Beta Google Maps Navigation for mobile will now automatically track the traffic on your routes and then find you the best alternative way. Check out details here: Youโ€™ve...