problem repairing windows xpsp2 on a dual os based pc

I have 2 os on my pc. One is ubuntu and the other is windows xp .
Since my windows is failing to boot i tried repairing it . But when the pc reboots during repair it asks me to choose between the 2 os . And when i choose xp the same problem reappears giving me a blank screen with no further progress.
Please suggest me a solution to effectively repair my windows because i dont want to format my C drive again.

Replies

• ramana_slv
    ramana_slv
    just try it friend. may be recover your system without format your system.
    flow the below steps
    1)switch on your pc and select XP
    2)when ever you select xp then press F8 button
    3)then you on blank screen with some options in that you select safemode option
    4)then it takes hardly 2 or 3 minites time then it display the instructions you follow that instructions.
    may recover your system with out format....
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Insert a bootable Windows XP CD in your drive.

Make sure that the boot priority is CD/DVD drive first and then the hard disk. If this is not the case, then go to the BIOS and change it.

Follow the prompts once the windows CD boots up to repair your installation. The C: drive will not be formatted.
  • pranavc
    pranavc
    @ ramana_slv - i tried the procedure suggested by you but my PC fails to boot in safe mode too. I did wait for whole 10 minutes. But still it showed no progress. Can u please suggest me any other foolproof method to repair the windows .
  • pranavc
    pranavc
    @ mad_scientist - I know the procedure to repair . I use a dual OS PC namely Ubuntu and xp. So i want to repair my windows "only" without formatting my drive. And the repair process does not complete because when my PC boots it asks me to choose between the 2 operating systems. And when i choose windows it does not progress further.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    your windows must be in c: drive (suppose), well why don't you just format that partition. ubuntu will be safe. you will need to reinstall grub after formatting as windows will replace the MBR with its own.

NOTE: I am assuming that you have installed ubuntu separately and not using WUBI.

procedure to repair the grub is given here: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    pranavc
    I have 2 os on my pc. One is ubuntu and the other is windows xp .
    Since my windows is failing to boot i tried repairing it . But when the pc reboots during repair it asks me to choose between the 2 os . And when i choose xp the same problem reappears giving me a blank screen with no further progress.
    Please suggest me a solution to effectively repair my windows because i dont want to format my C drive again.
    if the repair process is taking place correctly it shouldn't ask u to select the OS, instead it should go on with the repairing process. before suggesting what to do, it would be helpful if u could present with some details such as ,
    *what were doing last, before this problem occured, ie to understand as to what made the windows corrupt ?
    *do u have windows and linux installed on the same drive ?
    * do u have a linux cd and are willing to reinstall it again if needed(i understand u dont want to lose your windows) ?
    kindly furnish with the details as soon as possible.

m asking these things to be able to diagnose the matter properly. Because according to me the grub bootloader is creating a problem. u can use your windows cd to access recovery console and type fixmbr to fix the windows bootloader. doing this will remove the grub boot looader and now u can try repairing ur system without any problem.
    later on u can use the linux live cd and fix ur grub bootloader back to show both linux n windows like it was earlier. use the link given above by mad_scientist to reinstall the grub

@mad_scientist i guess he doesnt want to lose his windows(?)..he is not very clear as to whether he want to save a particular os from losing its settings and stuff or whether he just wants to avoid any kind of format.
    also formatting c drive can be a lot of problem for many a people as it will lead to lost settings and files. One can always save the files using linux live cd though 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am doing a Force and Velocity analysis of a Maruthi 800 Gear Box I have got a bunch of data about that but i missed that some data's about...
Dear Friends, I am in final year of engineering[ E&Tc] Had anybody done final year engineering project [e&tc] in BSNL? i.e. had anybody got sponsorship over there... or any of...
I am Ajit. I am an electrical engineer who just finished the course this year. I am getting trained here in a private firm to be an engineer in the...
our colg [MACE,klm] is presenting takshak 2010, the combined techfest...dis time we are also lucky to prepare for the events...since i'm a civil student,i need to present an exhibition item...
Hello friends, any one know the function to read byte from our inputstream in java ??