Private Engineering College Vs. Government College - What should you choose?

First of all, let me be clear that this discussion is only for the students who are in 10+2 or those whose results are out and they have a 'choice' i.e. they have enough marks to choose either one of them. From my experience, I can tell you that most students have to settle for a private engineering college in their vicinity because the cut-offs in the government colleges are pretty high (in most cases). It goes without saying, that the competition is tough to get into the few TOP private engineering colleges in any city. Students who want a particular branch, suddenly take admission in another branch because the college is so good. So, starting this discussion to address following questions that arise in the minds of thousands of engineering aspirants every year in India -
  1. Which one is better - private or government engineering college?
  2. Is the difference in fees too big? Is it worth spending so much?
  3. What is the placement scenario in private & government engineering colleges?
  4. Does the quality of teaching staff aka professors differ in these colleges?
  5. Does infrastructure make a difference? Do private colleges have better (newer) facilities?
  6. The difference in curriculum and exams conducted - Do they matter?
  7. .. and similar such questions.
Firstly, take it from a person who has close friends in both private and government engineering colleges - there's a lot of difference in the two types and each has its Highs and Lows. So, carefully assess your own situation, before you decide.

College Fees -

In Government engineering colleges, the fees are considerably lesser. This is because the government decides the fee charged (and with the reservation quotas in place, different sects of group - female, economically backward and lower castes have big fee waivers). I once compared the fees of a government college with that of an average private college and found the difference to be magnanimous. Govt. college students had to pay negligible amount as yearly fees. With the ratio being 1:10 in some cases.

In contrast to that, private engineering colleges charge a lot higher. It's the college's upper management (Chairman & Trustees) that decide the per year fees. This can range from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1 Lakh per year. There are two important quotas here - 1. Management Quota (where they charge higher for students with lower grades seeking to get admission) 2. NRI Quota (children of NRI parents can get admission. Fees are again much higher).

Placement Scenario -

The popular government engineering college across India has had a stellar placement record. With the top offers as well as average offers surpassing several private engineering colleges. However, there are some govt. colleges where no companies visit for campus placements. An example of this is - CS batch of Chandrapur Govt. Engineering College (Batch of 2012). Therefore, it's important for students who are seeking to land a job immediately after graduation, to check the college's placement records for at least last 2 years.

Private engineering colleges are popping up in every nook and corner of the city. Hence, it's difficult to give a common verdict for all. But, several private engineering colleges established 5-10 years back, have put up a lot of efforts in tying up with MNCs and other big companies. So, these companies visit engineering colleges without fail and each of them are seen to recruit as many as 100-150 students in one go. There are several newly established private colleges, where no companies visit and students are left on their own to do the job hunt after graduating.

Teaching Staff -

Government colleges generally have highly qualified professors with post graduate degrees and doctorate being a norm. The Government pays the faculty well and also offers regular pay hikes. The professors are found to be trained in teaching and generally have several years of experience and hence know their subject well. Govt. college students report higher satisfaction levels when it comes to dealing with their lecturers for solving doubts, getting guidance for projects and connecting with alumni.

In private engineering colleges, the faculty may not be as good as government colleges. (Again: This opinion is based on the majority of colleges I've visited.) Private colleges employ B.E. or B.Tech graduates as lecturers and they have little or no teaching experience. Private colleges are also seen to suffer from the problem of shortage of professors and lecturers resigning frequently.

Infrastructure -

Though it is a sorry state, some Government engineering colleges in India really suffer a lot from lack of good facilities in labs, no proper equipment, furniture, electricity etc. These are crucial factors that can hamper in the progress of a curriculum. Some Govt. colleges have maintained their campuses very well, but it is advised that students and parents visit the campus and check these things for themselves before taking admission.

Private Engineering Colleges (Especially the ones established 5-10 years back) seem to have really good infrastructure. In fact, they advertise these facilities in their shiny brochures. Again, in-person investigation of all these facilities is a must.

Curriculum and Examinations -

Depending on whether it's an autonomous institution or not, the syllabus is going to differ. For an autonomous institute, there's freedom to choose the subjects taught and the way exams are conducted. If one feels that, the area in which they are staying has a poor University with lack of regular updates and response to requests, they can choose an autonomous college. However, do keep in mind that when applying to post-graduate studies, the colleges may give bigger importance to the University and the new college aren't well recognized.

So, with that we come to the end of the Highs and Lows for both kind of colleges. I hope you all find it useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask below. Me and fellow members can help you find answers.

Replies

• TOUSIF JAMAL
    TOUSIF JAMAL
    I have a question : why private college students get more number than government college students ??
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    TOUSIF JAMAL
    I have a question : why private college students get more number than government college students ??
    I hope that you mean "marks" when you write "number". It so turns out that, in India, new private engineering colleges are being created every other day. So, there's too much competition between institutes to attract good students. However, to attract students, they need to show good record in placements. Companies that come to campus for placements always need students who have more than 60% or in some cases even distinction. Students going to private engineering college tend to not score well in their theory papers (one reason for this is that they get paid seats and are not at all interested in studies or exams). Therefore, to make up for that, college authorities wrongly give students free attendance and extra marks in college sessional exams.

Therefore, the marks that students in private colleges get seem to be much higher than what students in government colleges get.

Here it is also the new concept of 'autonomous' institutes, i.e. colleges that are only affiliated to some local university, but operate on their own for curriculum, syllabus, conducting examinations etc. So, they set their own standards and marking schemes.

These are all the reasons I observed in our city, why private students get more marks than government students.

If anyone here has observed any other reasons, please share here.
  • vishal_gour
    vishal_gour
    why students of private colleges got placed more high packages than any other government college except IITs and NITs?
  • Raj A
    Raj A
    vishal_gour
    why students of private colleges got placed more high packages than any other government college except IITs and NITs?
    Where did you find it? Except IIT's or NIT's which colleges are you considering? Do you have any particular example to cite? As per my knowledge, reverse is the case. I understand that not all government colleges are good but the companies do prefer government college students over private. Few private colleges have built their reputation over the years and maintain the quality of education hence those could be exceptions. But not all private colleges could provide higher package placement options. This may differ by branch though.
  • 0ABHISHEK abhi GUPTA1
    0ABHISHEK abhi GUPTA1
    Is dropping a year helpful for admission in IIT or BITS Pilani when my boards percentage this year is 72.8%.
    Will dropping affect our reputation and placement in front of companies when they ask about it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anand laghari
    i think i choose Government college
    Can you tell us why?
  • Shreya P@ndey
    Shreya P@ndey
    Ankita, Thanks ! This was really an informative post. I agree to most of your points.

I would like to add a little more info -
    I believe in India, the infrastructure should not be a deciding factor. I believe the quality of peer students as one of the biggest factors in addition to quality of professors. For examples, Good colleges such as IIT, NIT or BITS are not good because of great infrastructure but because of great students and faculty.

Thanks
  • Eng.asish kumar
    Eng.asish kumar
    it depends on the students most of the students in india choose government colleges because of low fees and faculty they think people are placed more in government college. but there are so many colleges like bits, vitee, manipal who placement results are good.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I went to a private engineering college when I could have gotten into a regional engineering college. Back in 1999, I was keen on getting into the engineering discipline of my choice than getting some other branch in a better known college.

After almost two decades, I think which engineering branch I chose did not matter at all. I learned to be an electrical engineer but ended up working in the software industry and learned everything from scratch.

Maybe I could have made a career as an electrical engineer, but back in 2003; I could not find any job relevant and during my engineering days, I got fascinated with computers. I didn't learn programming, but loved what these smart machines could do.

These days, the entire focus is on 'placements' and there's a good reason for that. Engineering education has become costlier than ever. That said, I think there are following factors that may influence your decision:
    1. Placement record: There are private colleges that have better placement record than regular colleges.
    2. Quality of teaching: I've no faith in this; but talking to existing students may help. Keep in mind that the best form of study is self study and there are plenty of resources available on the Internet where you can find a good tutor.
    3. College timings: Should let you have time for yourself which you can put into some constructive use. I was fortunate enough to be able to learn to play Guitar.
    No matter which college you eventually get into, always be learning on your own! There's no excuse.
  • tanya dhawangale
    tanya dhawangale

Do government college have more value than private college from placement point of view?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - that's not true. I know several private engineering colleges that attract more companies than government ones. Typically campus recruitments are determined by the ability of the placement officers and college's overall reputation. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I have heard from someone in a private college that the HR division of some (even big) companies can be ‘persuaded ‘ to conduct campus placement sessions even in not too good colleges.

There is a racket.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I still think that the discipline matters more than the college. College stays only for 4 years (unless you are getting admitted to a college of global reputation - MIT, Stanford, IITs, et al), but the discipline likely stays with you forever. 

It's painful to see people choosing college based on how good are they with placements. I can understand the motive, but sincerely believe that both parents and students need to decide wisely. 

My alma-mater is known for placements; but back in 2003, when I graduated we had ZERO companies visiting our campus. It happens. There are slow-downs and we can't rely on campus placements. The only way out is to make yourself a very competent engineer.  

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Back in 1960 campus placements were unheard of. Colleges were chosen on word of mouth, for excellence in some discipline or whichever would take one. Costs also mattered.

We never thought of placements. It was assumed that things would pan out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Singapore based Shopmatic has began its Indian operations with select customers in India. The company founded by Anurag Avula, Yen Lim and Kris Chen in December 2014 lets anyone; individuals...
how to do moving average calculation, for ex: i am getting continuous values from a (analog/ real/eg. 12.125, 3.75 ton/hour)flow transmitter. i need to know the average of the values...
Dear sir /madam, Where can i found journals of mechanical engineering. If possible can you please attach the link. Otherwise please mention the links. Thank you
Born and brought up in Nagpur (Maharashtra), Ajit Shegaonkar grew up watching his father build a business from scratch. From a very young age, he considered ‘starting up a venture’...
Hi, I am final year student from computer engineering. My project topic is secure data transmission by using DNA triplet code. In which i am using the bi-serial algorithm. There...