Primary Goal Behind Higher Education: For Knowledge Or Better Jobs?

I wish to know what is the primary motive of candidates who opt for higher education post engineering degree.

Is it the want of knowledge OR
Better job prospects.

Obviously, many would want to say 'both'. If that's your answer, then -

1. Would you go for higher education if you'd be back to the same job/role after completing it?
2. Would you opt for higher education if your company offers better role/position/salary or you find it elsewhere?

Let's see what CEans say.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm surprised to see that there are no takers for this.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wow! what a nice thread!

Its good to say true and accept my ignorance , rather talk something which is false and known as an intelligent person.

*Pardon me it will be a long post.*

After completion of my Btech , I joined an organization, rite from day 1 I was dreaming about MBA. I dont know what will they teach at MBA colleges, but my only aim is to get into one of those colleges and get a highly paid job.

This was in my mind set for few years, I tried twice, cleared once rejected in one of the interview.

After joining CE , my mind set didnt change (it takes time). Then after few days reading posts , blogs and understanding truly my potential I thought *I could do what I like , I think I will go with my passion*

Then I started exploring my skills.

Yes, Now I would opt for higher education not for the 2 options provided by you.
    I would opt for the higher education in a different field a complete contrast to my present job.

I am a QA (Automation Testing ) Engineer, if I do MS in Software engineering (which is definitely not my passion) I would be given a higher role in current/another organization but I will not be happy.

So I want to pursue higher education in my core engineering field, or some other field of my interest and will join some other organization as a fresher. Fresher in the sense with less salary.

Money is not everything though.

Sorry If I had deviated from the subject.

So here the answer would be for improving my knowledge. It may take sometime but I will do it some day or the other , and will let you know guys through long thread ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice ES ๐Ÿ˜€

I have seen a quite lot of people who does only for good pay. Even my Cousin doing his MBA expecting much pay. I can't word anything with him.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I must add that there's no harm in doing it for the sake of 'knowledge' or 'pay'. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    I must add that there's no harm in doing it for the sake of 'knowledge' or 'pay'. ๐Ÿ˜

Exactly, there is no harm in working only for money, since there are many people in the world , who work against their wish and earning lot of money and gaining knowledge and are happy!

I was quoting about my mind set , it is correct only for me. May not be correct to everyone else.

If someone is going onsite , he is not going for learning many things but apparently money... so what ever you do if it is correct as per you , then its fine.

and regarding your cousins its no harm at all since they need money ๐Ÿ˜€ they may find passion in something what they are doing rite?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    as per my knowledge and statistics many are going to higher studies for higher salaries and to go for higher positions
    very rare are doing higher studies to improve knowledge
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    oh! nice.
    what if some one creeps in this thread and say -" career shift?"

my history is 2006 passout - intially confused if to apply for jobs or for universities for higher education ( I know, heights of confusion)
    ended up giving both GRE and clearing the walk in interview

recieved i20 and offer letter on same day ( I arent kidding), again clueless or by fluke I chose to work. ( read total reckless)
    only after a while ( when I started 'wrking' in IT) , I wanted a career change. I wanted to become a teacher . I wanted to learn more and i started loving reading out of my IT scope and devloped a keen passion towards internetworks.

As of now, I am back @ same role same project , but ob I al looking beyond present company. I dont want my learnring to go waste at a place where there is no use of it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was searching for resource to run my programs online. And I found codepad. Codepad is an online compiler/interpreter, and a simple collaboration tool. Paste your code there, and Codepad...
i am 2nd year electronics and communication student. i want to start my first project at my home but i have very less practical knowledge. please suggest me a beginner...
I was shocked after seeing this video: [video=youtube;iEJNJ0rFSe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEJNJ0rFSe8[/video] Apparently I don't have much knowledge of history. What is your opinion, CEans?
Mmm...donuts! Whether spelled "donut" or "doughnut", these tasty treats are nearly impossible to resist. I am a huge fan of Discovery Science's How it's made series. Find out how yeast...
๐Ÿ˜› To the optimist, the glass is half-full. To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. ๐Ÿ˜›...