Pricing of a mechanical component

Talking about the standard components like bolts, nuts etc, which are produced in mass, it is well known that the greater the quantity produced, the lesser will be the cost per piece.

now the cost of production per piece may be like:

(raw material cost + tooling cost + machining cost + labour )/the number of components produced

is this right ?

Replies

• Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    Talking about the standard components like bolts, nuts etc, which are produced in mass, it is well known that the greater the quantity produced, the lesser will be the cost per piece.

now the cost of production per piece may be like:

(raw material cost + tooling cost + machining cost + labour )/the number of components produced

is this right ?
    I think you forget "profit" in the numerator.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kedar Malwadkar
    I think you forget "profit" in the numerator.

whatever it is , just elaborate it.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    whatever it is , just elaborate it.
    I am agree with you, but just need to add profit ( it should be very small amount for bolts and nuts.)

That makes the equation
    (raw material cost + tooling cost + machining cost + labour+profit )/the number of components produced
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    what about transportation cost?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    what about transportation cost?
    Oh yes i knew i was forgetting something.

but then transportation cost , i think appears to be like : fuel cost + driver's wage + vehicle maintainance.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is a brand cost as well. Standard companies will charge a premium (higher profit than others).
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    There is a brand cost as well. Standard companies will charge a premium (higher profit than others).
    but nowadays most companies who purchase standard components do not care about the brand.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Dude you keep forgetting things...! Now what about designing and testing,that is going to cost a fair amount of money.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    but nowadays most companies who purchase standard components do not care about the brand.
    Manufacturing entities with ISO kind of certifications do.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    Dude you keep forgetting things...! Now what about designing and testing,that is going to cost a fair amount of money.
    Standard components do not require designing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i m am engineering student but due to backlogs i had one year drop in my academics .i just want to know whether i m applicable for campus placement...
so, we are all aware that we don't feel any weight or thrust (which act upon us on land) when we are under water..! and we are also aware that...
*Engineering Trade: Mechanical Engineering 😎 *Occupation: Undergraduate, Freshman 😒 *Hobbies & Interests: Sports (especially basketball), Contraptions, and Vehicles (especially motorcycles). 👍 *Aim in life: To be able to apply my...
Hi. I am a new CrazyEngineer. I am about to start my first year in university. I wonder what software I need to get used to. I am pretty sure...
Firefox developers are on a roll. Its not even a week when Firefox 14 came out of the sandbox and into the world; the upgraded version with some major memory...