Pressure Transmitter for Gas Pipelines

Here i work in Negative pressure wave Pipeline Leak Detection System for oil and gas pipelines. In crude oil i don't feel any difficulties to detect leaks using the normal wika sensors. but when it comes to gas pipelines it is very hard to detect small size leaks using the same wika sensors when gap between two monitoring stations is very large.

Can anyone have any idea about differential pressure transmitter?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    IMARAN I KHAN
    but when it comes to gas pipelines it is very hard to detect small size leaks using the same wika sensors when gap between two monitoring stations is very large. Can anyone have any idea about differential pressure transmitter?
    What has differential pressure to do with leaks? For any flow to take place there has to be a differential pressure, without any leak.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • IMARAN I KHAN
    IMARAN I KHAN
    Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Here in Saudi Arabia the distance between two monitoring stations will be too large (means around 15 to 20 Kms) that negative pressure wave signal could not reach both the sites. Here in saudi aramco standards they want us to detect 18 mm leak on 56" gas piepeline having 700 psig. We use Wika sensors which have accuracy of about +/- 0.5% .
    Engineer from Saudi Aramco telling us to use Differential pressure transmitters (DPT) between two distant monitoring sites. DPT having accuracy of around +/- 0.04%.
    When we are using DPT need to connect 1 input to main pipeline pressure and other input to have a pressure drop for 18 mm leak which should be connected using solenoid valve.
    Since we are facing problem in DPT's for maintaining a constant pressure at the pressure drop port.
    Can you help me out in any other from which we can detect 18mm leak.
    Here people are comparing same methods for both Gas and Crude.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It may help us understand better if you could post a sketch of the above scheme. Even a hand sketch will do.
  • IMARAN I KHAN
    IMARAN I KHAN
    Dear Sir,

Please find the details of setup

#-Link-Snipped-#

Attached document contains the details of setup.
  • IMARAN I KHAN
    IMARAN I KHAN
    Dear Sir,

I have few doubts, can you tell me for below mentioned details is it possible to detect leak or not:

Pipeline Dia: 56"
    Pipeline Pressure: 700 psig
    Flow: 1500MMSCFD.

Using above parameters is it possible to detect 18mm leak when 2 pressure transmitters are 15 to 20 Km apart using negative pressure wave technique?

We use here Wika E-10 Pressure transmitters.

Waiting for your kind response.

• IMARAN I KHAN
    IMARAN I KHAN
    Dear Sir,

I am waiting for your help is this method works for Pipeline Leak Detection System.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The latest Nielsen report reveals that Indian engineering students want IT jobs over core jobs and Google's the most desired employer. The second and third spot has been taken over...
I want to know how the turbine extraction steam is controlled in the reheat cycle?
hi, Again I am asking a question for the those who knows cloud computing and have experience with this. My question is what kind of project can be completed on...
Airtel VDSL service has been launched in Hyderabad city and is currently offering 40 Mbps plans starting at Rs. 3200 (Ultrasonic 3299) and Rs. 3999 (Ultrasonic 3999). VDSL stands for...
I am planning to buy Google Nexus 4. It is not officially available in India. But i found it on few online sites. During my search on eBay.in , i...