Premium vs. Super Gasoline

The government of my country has recently read its new budget and has announced a reduction in the subsidy for Premium Gasoline. As a result there has been an uproar against the move as people now have to pay more for premium gas.
My question is simple, can any make of vehicle use both types of fuel? My Nissan can use both types so no problem for me. But people with newer vehicles are saying super is bad for their car's engine. Is this an over-exaggerated myth or is it fact? Can super do damage to an engine? What are the pros and cons of premium and super gasoline?

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Not even one take on this? Is there Premium and Super in India?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Do not know much about cars. A little about petrol. When a fuel air mixture is compressed there is a tendency for self ignition at various places within the volume of the mix. Such uncontrolled random ignition leads to engine 'knock', which reduces the life of the engine and can even cause permanent damage. isoOctane has a great resistance to such self ignition. It is used as a standard for anti knocking characteristics of a fuel.. I understand that in high performance (high compression?) engines the higher octane fuels give better performance. However, it may not have much effect in engines with lower compression since 'knocking' is anyway less in them.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    In India we use Premium never heard of Super petrol
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Super is less filtered than Premium. It contains more lead.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The more the lead more the toxicity op generated I prefer Premium though pricy In India we use that only in most of the places
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    In India we do have Premium, but no such thing as Super.

well i did learn in my thermal engineering course, that an engine of a particular make can use a fuel of only a particular brand. at that time the same kind of question arose in my mind.

but however in India, nobody really cares what brand of fuel is put into your vehicle. if your fuel gauge reads "empty", then you drive to the nearest station and fill-up.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here is what appears to be mind reading by inanimate objects. A formation of mechanical metronomes all beating at different times finally get into perfect synchrony. Well, near perfect with...
i have to know what should do i first robotics or matlab. is there any link between these 2
Scientists are people with foibles of people in general. The general spread of corruption seems to have caught up with science. In India too, probably more than in the West....
Things are getting out of hand in advertising. Here is a magazine ad that features a working smart phone, no less: https://mashable.com/2012/10/02/ew-has-smartphone-inside/
Here is Steve Blank a great entrepreneur on how to do it. https://fora.tv/2012/08/14/Steve_Blank_How_to_Build_a_Great_Startup_Step_by_Step?utm_source=FORA.tv+New+Member&utm_campaign=bf284a2d3a-Newsletter_10_3_2012&utm_medium=email#Steve_Blank_Shares_the_Secret_Truth_About_Startups