Power dissipated by diode

Hey

can you guys tell me what will be the power dissipated by a diode 1N4007 if excited by a AC source of 30V peak to peak

Cut in also info regarding the maximum responding frequency of the diode in actual practical scenario

I heard 1n4007 is a low speed diode of switching speed of a few 100 khz

Replies

• Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Conqueror
    Hey

can you guys tell me what will be the power dissipated by a diode 1N4007 if excited by a AC source of 30V peak to peak

Cut in also info regarding the maximum responding frequency of the diode in actual practical scenario

I heard 1n4007 is a low speed diode of switching speed of a few 100 khz

you mentioned when 1N4007 is excited by 30V supply...
    did you mean the 30V as the forward voltage??
    read this:
    the maximum reverse voltage that can be applied to 1N4007 is 1000v because beyond this the diode will get damaged..
    similarly the maximum forward voltage we can apply is around 0.7v....
    if you exceed these values diode may be damaged due to excess current..
    now make it clear whether 30V is forward current or reverse current..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    gwendollen
    you mentioned when 1N4007 is excited by 30V supply...
    did you mean the 30V as the forward voltage??
    read this:
    the maximum reverse voltage that can be applied to 1N4007 is 1000v because beyond this the diode will get damaged..
    similarly the maximum forward voltage we can apply is around 0.7v....
    if you exceed these values diode may be damaged due to excess current..
    now make it clear whether 30V is forward current or reverse current..
    Seems you misunderstood here. He said 30v peak to peak AC voltage. And I think it is not going to damage diode as this diode can be used normally for rectification.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey I guess I am not clear in my qn

Can anyone help me out in this I heard heard nearly 60 V positive voltage can be applied before the diode gets destroyed due to over heating

That is why I wanted to know the power dissipated by the diode when 30 V AC is applied to the diode
  • a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    If you know the avg DC current then the power loss can be calculated, using
    P= Vf X Iavg
    i.e. P = 0.7 X Iavg

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

some of the scientists at korean advanced institute of science and technology have created the first transparent computer chip..this chip is known as TRRAM (Transparent Resistive Random Access Memory)..it is...
In the past, Google would pick up our posts and articles within 5-10 minutes after they were created. But now, looks like either Google's upgraded their servers or has began...
What are the potential ways to win this event? How to remove the Moderator's and ADMINISTRATOR's dominance in the competition? How to delay the responses from other CEans to be...
After months of speculation, Nokia has agreed to buy out Siemens' stake in Nokia Siemens Networks for US$2.22 billion. With the rise of cost competing vendors Huawei & ZTE and...
CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO FIND INTERNATIONAL JORNALS RELATED TO PISTONLESS PUMB.