Powder Metallurgy

Whenever you go to market and ask for a part made of alloy (which of course cannot be made by melting and adding to each other) what does the shop-keeper does? Well he simply hands you that part. And how he does it? Now don’t tell me he buys it from a manufacturer. The part is actually made from powder metallurgy. Now ‘powder metallurgy’ is a term which holds innumerable opportunities in industries in future (and of course in present era also).
So, what is powder metallurgy? Powder metallurgy incorporates a use of metallic powders to make products. By using this technology we can actually mix and form practically any composite material. Say for example we can also make self lubricating bearings by incorporating steel with graphite!
The process starts with ‘Blending of powders’ in which the two powders are mixed thoroughly to achieve uniformity in the part.

[​IMG]

The next process is ‘Compacting’.In this process the powders of metals or required material is then put in a mould and compressed.The force normally applied is around 100 to 1000MN/m2 .The process can be either mechanically operated or hydraulically operated.The next process then is ‘Presintering’. This is done to remove lubricants or binders if any.Product which you obtain after presintering is called a ‘briquette’ Presintering is nothing but heating the powder in the die so that the mould becomes a little hard to carry around and take the shape of the mould.This process is mostly performed and can be excluded for certain applications.In case of Tungsten carbide ,it is machined after presintering, because tungsten carbide has a property of hardening so much so that it is impossible to harden the product after ‘Sintering’.Sintering is carried out mostly in controlled atmospheres.We can achieve final strength by this process. There are many secondary operation like coining,plating,broaching etc.They are done as required.Well this process is highly automated and precise dimensional tolerances can be met.Labour costs are also saved as unskilled labours can be employed.We can also manufacturesmagnetic cores having special properties.The advantages are many and disadvantages are few like the raw material i.e.; pure raw material is expensive to produce.There is no existing process which can produce metal powders cheaply.Also they have relatively poor plastic properties as compared to components made up of alloys and metals.However you can have any material component if you have got this technology.And here lies its importance.

Replies

• Farjand
    Farjand
    Have you performed this process yourself? I mean do you have any experience of implementing the process?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    No Friend. I have no practical experience.I am myself in the process of learning things.
  • Farjand
    Farjand
    Good article ishutopre 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friend's, I have to create an e-post application using java.But i didn't have any idea about e-post. Anybody know what is e-post and how it works....? 😕
8.9 quake strikes Japan and triggers tsunami 😔 I just saw on television that 8.9 quake has struck on the north east coast of Japan and has triggered Tsunami. The...
a nagpur based entrepreneur Ajit singh designed the worlds' largest pen. this pen is 29.7 kg in weight and 13.3 feet in height. it can write for 10 kms and...
written assignments should be banned completely. some productive and useful type of assignments like ppts mini projects should be given. what are your opinions? 😡
Hi, I am Farjand. I am in Mechanical branch from last 1 year.I like swimming as I have achieved a gold medal in school.My aim is to do something good...