Plotting exercises

Hello all. I am very disappointed with such long pauses between intellectual discussions here on CE. Collectively we are more brainpower than we can handle. Sadly, we fail to recognize the plethora of scientific exercises we can undertake without any investment, using just our computers and brains.

So here, I shall put forth an idea which can be looked upon as an extension on #-Link-Snipped-# 's exercise to identify the effect of power naps. I believe such experiments are great, providing us with great insight into our world, by quantifying our normally neglected routine activities. What I intend to say is: let us gather data and look at how statistics can help us derive conclusive results from that data.

I have been recently planning a trip to India, and just as an exercise, I started noting down the best prices for a return journey in the form of a plot. As of now, it just gives me the trend in which prices for a certain route are going, but such an exercise can be made into a learning experience. You can make the same plots on Matlab or Mathematica, which are amazing tools every engineer must know about. Even Excel is an extremely powerful software, if you want to keep to it.

The point is that there are so many of us, which means there is so much of data we can collect together. If we use our collective resources to conduct a study, we can have a good study on any topic we want to statistically analyze. And this does not need to be done on CE. You can do it as a group of friends and hopefully post what you studied here on CE.

Share your views.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple too, is making a digital smart watch and Tim Cook is busy educating all the potential consumers how unique and breakthrough product it is. Like all of you even...
Project Abstract / Summary : This project deals with the controlling of home appliances through an android application as well as through GSM technique. It also provides home security which...
Quote: A start up in Canada has designed Helix, a bicycle claimed to be smaller, lighter, safer and easier to use than any other folding bike in the world. Helix...
Project Abstract / Summary : Cloud computing in mobile platforms has invoked a new wave of evolution in the rapidly developing mobile world. Although several striking research work has been...
About a quarter to one third of bridges around the world are either obsolete or structurally unsound. Better methods than normal detailed visual inspectionare needed to assess the status of...