PlayStation 4 Runs A Heavily Modded FreeBSD 9.0 Named As Orbis OS

Sony’s Playstation 4 Price In India had managed to win the war of consoles hands down at E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo), with its used games policy and competitive pricing and making sure that a console remains primarily a gaming device rather than making it a home entertainment solution like the Microsoft Xbox One Is A Powerful, Improved and Stylish Successor to Xbox 360. Sony's commitment in making the PlayStation based on open platforms has now been confirmed by the folks over at #-Link-Snipped-# who when playing around with the console’s software development kit (SDK) discovered that the PlayStation 4 runs Orbis OS which is a modified version of the FreeBSD 9.0. Freebsd is modular kernel based UNIX like open source operating system. FreeBSD could be easily installed on the PS4 because of Sony’s decision to move over the x86 architecture. #-Link-Snipped-# that FreeBSD was preferred over Linux OS is because of the former’s liberal licensing policies.

Orbis OS

One of the reasons why the discovery of FreeBSD under the hood of PlayStation 4 comes as a surprise to the gaming community is because originally FreeBSD does not have an AMD Catalyst driver for any of its versions and since the PS4 has an eight core AMD APU with Radeon Graphics it would have been impossible to use FreeBSD. So it is evident that Sony closely working with AMD must have developed a custom driver or at least managed to port the Catalyst code-base to the FreeBSD.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Eagerly waiting for the BBM Android App? Well, you're not alone; but a fake app has already fooled thousands of Androiders around the world. The app appeared in the Google...
Apple's newly announce MacBook Air 2013 with the high-speed 802.11ac wireless network capabilities has issues - and it looks like Apple's confirmed that that they're working on a fix. The...
hi everyone....i am a final year civil engineering student...i am looking for some worthy seminar topics....i really don't need a complicated topic but simple...i look for good topics which contain...
Have you ever wanted to lock your Android App? Well, Android phones and tablets do have an option to 'hide' any app from the display screens, but it does not...
Raspberry Pi, the $25 micro PC has always been a center of attraction of readers of VoiCE, whether it is its flight to outer space or its wardriving skills, Raspberry...