Planning......a topic unscratched, i hope

Hi All,

The term Planning holds good for any field, so i hereby initiate a general discussion to know and to share the idea behind "PLANNING", Experts please do share

I hope the topic is new to CE.....if am wrong do correct...

Planning is one of the most important project management and time management techniques. Planning is preparing a sequence of action steps to achieve some specific goal. If you do it effectively, you can reduce much the necessary time and effort of achieving the goal. A plan is like a map. When following a plan, you can always see how much you have progressed towards your project goal and how far you are from your destination. Knowing where you are is essential for making good decisions on where to go or what to do next.

One more reason why you need planning is again the 80/20 Rule. It is well established that for unstructured activities 80 percent of the effort give less than 20 percent of the valuable outcome. You either spend much time on deciding what to do next, or you are taking many unnecessary, unfocused, and inefficient steps.

Planning is also crucial for meeting your needs during each action step with your time, money, or other resources. With careful planning you often can see if at some point you are likely to face a problem. It is much easier to adjust your plan to avoid or smoothen a coming crisis, rather than to deal with the crisis when it comes unexpected (Prevention is better than cure).

Replies

• moodyblueguitar
    moodyblueguitar
    rajcivil2k6
    Hi All,

The term Planning holds good for any field, so i hereby initiate a general discussion to know and to share the idea behind "PLANNING", Experts please do share

I hope the topic is new to CE.....if am wrong do correct...
    I would look up "project management." Some tools used for planning Gantt charts and Product Development Specifications (PDS).
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There are some terms related to planning like CPM and PERT.I think they make planning a lot easier.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Planning activities undertaken at various level are as follows:
    1. Top Management Level-Strategic Planning
    2. Middle Management Level- Intermediate Planning
    3. Lower Management Level- Operational Planning

Planning process involves:
    1. setting organizational, divisional or unit goals
    2. developing strategies or tactics to reach those goals
    3. determining resources needed
    4. setting standards
  • rajcivil2k6
    rajcivil2k6
    That's great people are aware.......

moodyblueguitar
    I would look up "project management." Some tools used for planning Gantt charts and Product Development Specifications (PDS).
    Project Management : I would define it as the process of selecting the simple methodology (complying project specifications) and to guide the project goals in terms of time and cost.

ishutopre
    There are some terms related to planning like CPM and PERT.I think they make planning a lot easier.
    CPM: Critical Path Method

This is the basic analysis used to identify the longest path traced by sequence of process/activities.

PERT: Project/Program Evaluation Review Technique

This tool is used to review the sequence of process and to reorient the process/activity to save time ( indirectly cost).

#-Link-Snipped-#

maria flor
    Planning activities undertaken at various level are as follows:
    1. Top Management Level-Strategic Planning
    2. Middle Management Level- Intermediate Planning
    3. Lower Management Level- Operational Planning

Planning process involves:
    1. setting organizational, divisional or unit goals
    2. developing strategies or tactics to reach those goals
    3. determining resources needed
    4. setting standards
    That's Very briefing Maria, Cool.

The two most popular tool assisting to do such analysis is Primavera & MS Project.

PS: If am wrong at any point do correct.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    As far as I know PERT( Program Evaluation Review Technique) is a technique which enables engineer managers to schedule, monitor and control large and complex projects by employing three time estimates for each activity while CPM( Critical path Method) is a little bit the same as PERT but CPM is a network technique and uses only one time factor per activity.
  • rajcivil2k6
    rajcivil2k6
    Good try Maria , We cant say it same.....

1. CPM is activity oriented i.e. CPM network is built on the basis of activities. Also result
    Of carious calculation are considered in terms of activities of the project. On the other
    hand, PERT is event oriented.

2. CPM is a deterministic model i.e. it dose not take into account the uncertainties
    Involved in the estimation of time for execution of a job or an activity. It completely
    Ignores the probabilistic element of the problem. PERT however is a probabilistic
    Model. It uses three estimates of the activity time- optimistic, pessimistic and most
    Likely with a view to take into account time uncertainty. This the expected duration of
    Each activity is probabilistic indicates that there is fifty percent probability of getting
    The job done within the time.

3.CPM place dual emphasis on time and cost and evaluate the trade off between project
    Cost and project time. By deploying allows the project manager to manipulate project duration within certain limits so that project duration can be shortened to an optimal cost. On the other hand : PERT is primarily concerned with time. It helps the manager to schedule and co-ordinate various activities so that the project can be completed on schedule time.

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    So I think PERT is better isn't it?I think PERT was most probabily invented by US army.Correct me please.
  • rajcivil2k6
    rajcivil2k6
    ishutopre
    So I think PERT is better isn't it?I think PERT was most probabily invented by US army.Correct me please.

I think the below link can give a better view, am not good at explanation 😔

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know the name of the following device which hold by an actor and its working mechanism .
My name is Reehan and I'd just like to say hi to everyone. As everybody knows that nowadays forums are the best source of Knowledge, and through forums we can...
This is a debate topic that has been going on in my mind for some time. I know some people who have friends online but never talk in real life....
Hey friends I want to start a discussion about different cooling systems used in automobiles especially in cars. For example radiators.But there are many types of them.So we can discuss...
Pragyan is back guys, with loads of new events. Check them out here. Pragyan 11, NIT Trichy, 17 - 20 Feb 2011.